HybridZ

SR20 question.

AK-Z

I was looking through ebay when I saw a sr20de (neo vvt) from a infiinity G20 (FWD). Now if you had the head and all the electronics from that with a short block from a SR20det from a silvia , would that work? Just curious because I just might be considering that build.

edit: I know the ecu has to be remapped for the turbo, but it has variable valve timing, so I don't think the silvia ecu would work.

I do believe that the RWD and the FWD differ because the RWD unit has an extra coolant port facing the transmission. The head gaskets I looked at verified that. That's one of the things that prevents swapping the S13 head onto a B13,14 engine and vice versa.

I understand from now from reading the SR20 forum. Couple of questions.

Are the crank stroke the same from the DET and VVL? Because one is turbo and the other is NA.

Do they make different cams for VVL heads?

Will the VVL internals work with a DET crank and has this been done and is turbo charged?

I'm not sure how much truth there is to this. But I remember back when I had my civic, on the honda tech forums there were a number of people that said to stay away from the vtec heads if you are going to go turbo. From what I remeber everyone was saying that it make tuning it a real PITA. Does anyone know if this holds true for Nissan motors?

well, nissan themselves put a VET into a car...

http://www.nissan-global.com/GCC/Japan/NEWS/20001019_0e.html

maybe it'll make tuning hard, i don't know...but it's possible

btw. you'll need a VET exhaust manifold.

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=120965

the s14 s15 greddy style intakes will work on the vvl engines

I bought my engine before i found out a lot of this stuff. i'm just extremely optimisitic. from research, it all seems to work out though.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to this. But I remember back when I had my civic, on the honda tech forums there were a number of people that said to stay away from the vtec heads if you are going to go turbo. From what I remeber everyone was saying that it make tuning it a real PITA. Does anyone know if this holds true for Nissan motors?

I'm sure its because of there being ecentually 2 maps to deal with because of different timing. the older vtec was like a on and off system for the higher rpm cam, it was "variable" in that when it came on was decided by the ecu.

I'm sure the guys on the honda forums didn't rebuild the engine to lower compression ratio either.

I think I'll megasquirt it and have a it event timed to change when to switch cams.

I remember someone on here a couple of weeks ago saying they were in developement in a Niss data or something like that. a nissan equivilant to the Hondata. Any chance to have VVL control?

EDIT: Ok n/m. the whole VVL process is entirely mechanical and has no ecu control at all from what I read, which is a good thing. So I guess I can use any ecu as long as I can flash maps. Sigh, yet another forum I need to join. Thanks Lunar240z for pointing me to the sr20 forums.