HybridZ

Got my RB25DET, Going in '88 Z31

Racinjitter

Measurements of the engine bay and the RB engine itself.

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1939-1.jpg

IMG_1929-1.jpg

I think I will not be moving the existing mounts on the crossmember... Instead I am thinking of making this out of 1/4" steel plate...(for mockup) then reinforcing it. Any suggestions? (besides being in actual scale)

enginemountbrackets1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got some new parts yesterday. The 200zr oil pan and pickup. I put them on after relocating the dipstick tube. I will have to straighten out the tube because the dipstick will not go in or out smoothly. It is quite hard to find a reasonable place for the tube, the coolant-oil cooler is really in the way. I also recieved my guages that I will be using temporarily until i get the chance to make everything for the aftermarket guages. The plug for the dipstick tube is easily removed from the inside of the engine. To install it into the front location i set the plug into the hole and tapped lightly onto it setting it in place. I then grabbed a 1/4in extension and set it into the proper place. Here are a few pics...

**edit** FYI http://www.nismoparts.com/catalog/?section=756 is now carrying N1 water pumps, N1 oil pumps, exhaust manifold gaskets, timing belts, idler pulleys and tensioners. The tensioners are the same as VG30's though.

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

So I did a test fit today... So far the issues are that I would like to have te engine sit down in the cradle about 2 inches further lowering the CG. I think I will cut the existing crossmember down. I also need to change the angle of the engine mounting pates that I made by about 10-15 degrees, this can be done when I cut the crossmember brackets. I will need to make a powersteering hose to run to the rack, and mount the resivior on the US drivers side. There is pretty good clearance all around the engine other than that, I think that A/C could easily be used if I wanted. Well if you have any questions or suggestions please leave me a message. Here are the pics.

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

Couldnt you use shorter poly mounts to lower the CG?

Yea, I was planning on using Jason's poly mounts in the swap... I could also go solid mount for the clearance. I would prefer not to go solid because I dont want to nut and bolt the entire car every time I drive it.

Thank god! Somebody else finally doing this! Mine is still running strong and I'm ultra-glad there's now a 2nd one in the works.

I wish I had had the knowledge to do mine myself and document it, but unfortunately I didn't. However, anything I can do to help just ask and I'm there. Need pics of anything?? Need measurements?

I can tell you the mistakes and hurdles... god I love finally having somebody to work with!!

You've got the -exact- same IC I am planning on using as well. It's too wide for the stock position though so I am having to figure out how to modify the dash to get it to fit. Pointless at this time until I find a danged speedo cable for it... heh.

I already have all the Japanese crap on the back broken down into English and what it should hook up to if you need it. I can tell you how to setup a quick tachometer as well when you get ready for that. By the way, plan on cutting the front brace between the headlights out and welding flanges on it for bolts. You will want it bolt-in so you can do timing belts later on. Big on my list of to-do's. I have to daily drive mine so I haven't been able to do squat on it. :(

Also, if your source for that exhaust manifold can make another, man I would be all over it. No way I'm patient and deep-pocketed enough to wait for an HKS one to show up. I was thinking of ordering one of those cheap SS's to chop up and make better while I practice welding.. :D

Have you measured for the driveshaft yet? Might want to do that immediately because you will almost definitely need it cut or made. It was also alot easier to move the radiator down some to make everything fit. I have a female consult connector coming so I can hook up the Blazt software to play with, I'll be sure to post that up when I get it working. If you don't have a female Consult (Think OBD) connector I can tell you where to find that as well.

Heh, look at that. I write a book in pure excitement.. Being first is cool and all, but it sucks when you aren't good at fabrication.. hehehe...

Congrats on the progress!!! Hit me up anytime for help, I completely support what you are doing and will help in any way I can.

• 5 weeks later...

I did a test fit today, and it looks pretty good so far. I need to bolt up the tranny for final fitment. Aslo there is going to be a revision in the mounting plates that I made. They are going to be an inch longer and the bolts are no longer going to be staggered.

like this...

enginemountbrackets1-1.jpg

So here are some pics of what I got done today... IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

There are just a couple of interference issues so far, most notably the power steering lines to the rack. The other is the steering shaft it clears but not by enough yet...

Another issue is the ride height, right now with just the rb in there it seems way too high, seeing as to how much the tranny weighs it will still sit a little higher than factory. No biggie, I plan on getting coilovers anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

As Dramier suggested I cut the core support/ hood latch out to get the engine/trans assembly into the car. I plan on making some brackets to weld onto the removable hood latch portion, so that the timing belt will be easy to access instead of removing the whole engine.

IMG_2026.jpg

I finally dropped the whole assembly into the car, and wouldnt you know, I dont need to modify the tranny tunnel at all.

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

But on the downside, I do have to make a bracket to mount the tranny to the trans crossmember, this should be butter to do.

Z31 tranny mount on left, RB tranny mount on the right

IMG_2053.jpg

Z31 tranny mount on top, RB tranny mount on the bottom

IMG_2054.jpg

The shifter lines up perfectly in the old automatic hole in the tunnel.

IMG_2042.jpg

There is about 1/4 inch clearance between the steering shaft and the turbo elbow/downpipe.

IMG_2049.jpg

And there is plenty of clearance under the hood.

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

So I got everything bolted up on the Z, The crossmember bolts directly in now. It went pretty smoothly only a little bit of prybar action. The turbo elbow has more than a half inch clearance between the heat shield and the steering shaft. I did encounter a clearance issue with the speedo sensor on the passenger side, I will bring home the air hammer soon to fix this issue. I also had an issue with the tranny mount bolts, they were too wide so I ground the head down to the bolt itself. Now I am wondering if the driveline angle is correct. I guess I will have to bring home a magentic angle guage. Here are the pics...

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg