HybridZ

Got my RB25DET, Going in '88 Z31

Racinjitter

Guest Vinnchan

Wow, congratulations. It looks like the swap is going really well.

Out of curiosity what are you doing for the driveshaft? Pics of that would be awesome for the rest of us living vicarously. After trolling the forums for the week I've owned my z I've never seen anyone show/talk about the driveshaft.

Vinnchan,

The driveshaft will be custom made. It has a Z32 output yoke and my factory Z31 rearend companion flange. Of course it will have removable and greaseable u joints also. I will be measuring for the driveshaft length this weekend and hopefully I can have one made in a week.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it has been so long for an update but I have been very busy with the house weddings and wiring. So I got rid of the greddy fmic for a brand new treadstone/spearco fmic. The main reason for getting rid of the greddy is because it was used, and I sold it for way more that I paid for it. Next I swapped the auto pedals for a clutch and small brake pedal. This took all together like 20 minutes, very easy to change over. I am on final mock up and am removing the engine tranny tomarrow to do all of the final welding. Then I put her all together and start the power steering mock up and remote oil filter and cooler. I will be sending the car out then for the FMIC piping and then she should be running. Pics

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

Updates should be coming more often now, Likely every weekend.

Yea, I did get the parts car, However I have been out of the country and will be back on monday. I also decided to re-build the car and do a comparison VG vs RB, debating all aspects of build up, driveability, price comparison and fun. You can have my old front hubs that are five lug off of my 88 however. I think there are a few z31's in the junkyards around here that I can source rear hubs. LMK

Sorry for not updating sooner, I have a lot to do in the next few weeks. well, the crossmember is finished, and I got a slew of new parts. I got the turbo calipers, hubs, rotors, new rack, new tie rods, new rack bushings and a few other things. I will be ordering Jason's poly mounts very soon also. Unfortunately I wont be able to use the tranny mount that he makes. I also made an interesting discovery about the shortage of turbo calipers. The 1995 infinity J30 calipers and mounts will bolt up and have larger pistons by 1/4" each.

Well here are some pics.

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

does anybody know if the 4 piston Z32 calipers bolt up like they do on 240sx's or is it just the 2 piston j30's?

also i am curious what u are doing about the radiator and cap location?

They dont exactly bolt up...http://www.redz31.com/pages/brakes.html

This is what I sent to my radiator builder. He should have it done in a couple days. It is essentially just like the afco, but with a gm stlye radiator cap.

Afco radiato pn# AFC-80107N

Overall Width (in): 21.500 in.

Overall Height (in): 13.250 in.

Overall Thickness (in): 3.000 in.

Row Quantity: Dual-row

Radiator Finish: Natural

Radiator Material: Aluminum

Transmission Cooler: No

Inlet Location: Upper passenger side

Inlet Size: 1 1/4 in.

Outlet Location: Lower passenger side

Core Height (in): 12.500 in.

Outlet Size: 1 1/4 in.

Core Thickness (in): 2.500 in.

Core Width (in): 18.000 in.

Tube Size: 1 in.

**Would like GM style radiator cap

That looks to be a great swap... You should be very happy with it. I saw one of the Z31s with the RB20det in it online some where not long ago. Its at a importers shop some where in the northeast. Its a right hand drive black Z31 and I think the guy wants like $1500 or so for it.

I wouldn't think twice about doing that same swap you did. I think its a great chassis to drop a RB motor into... enjoy it, and great job!! keep the great pics coming...

j.

They dont exactly bolt up...http://www.redz31.com/pages/brakes.html

This is whatI sent to my radiator builder. He should have it dont in a couple days. It is essentially just like the afco, but with a gm stlye radiator cap.

Afco radiato pn# AFC-80107N

Overall Width (in): 21.500 in.

Overall Height (in): 13.250 in.

Overall Thickness (in): 3.000 in.

Row Quantity: Dual-row

Radiator Finish: Natural

Radiator Material: Aluminum

Transmission Cooler: No

Inlet Location: Upper passenger side

Inlet Size: 1 1/4 in.

Outlet Location: Lower passenger side

Core Height (in): 12.500 in.

Outlet Size: 1 1/4 in.

Core Thickness (in): 2.500 in.

Core Width (in): 18.000 in.

Tube Size: 1 in.

**Would like GM style radiator cap

ahh i see.

i guess what i was also wondering is, is the rad cap on the raditor?

since the cap and its housing is mounted on the engine basically.

i am concerend with easy access to the cap.

i was going to fab a like a "mid-pipe" with the fitting for the cap on it so it would be close to the same place as the old one for ease of access

ahh i see.

i guess what i was also wondering is, is the rad cap on the raditor?

since the cap and its housing is mounted on the engine basically.

i am concerend with easy access to the cap.

i was going to fab a like a "mid-pipe" with the fitting for the cap on it so it would be close to the same place as the old one for ease of access

You got it, the rad cap is now located on the radiator. With the afco, you would need the mid pipe you are talking about.

• 1 month later...

Well I have been looking for the 10mm fittings for the slave master for 2 weeks now and I am at my witts end, no auto parts stores carry the ones I need. I have had a parts guru looking with me, to no sucess. But I finished the crossmember and installed the new rack, rack bushings and tie rods. Once I get the fully treaded 10mm line nuts I can final install the rb and get her running.

Pics...

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

And the pooch decided its his turn to drive...

IMG_2153.jpg

I thought that there was a difference in angle of the mounts, however there is no difference. The z31 engine isloators just have a locating pin on the bottom side of them, making it look like there is a difference. I ground down that tab and it now sits perfectly flush.