HybridZ

LS 364/440 at SDPC

Just found this link while searching Scoggin-Dickey for LS2 crate engines

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/4152/products/272567/LS-364-440-Carbureted-Crate-Engine.htm

Looks like GM took an LS2 block with LS6 heads and added a 4 bbl intake.

440 HP carbureted HP and 412 ft-lbs of torque.

Can't really tell what the $5700 above buys. Anyone familiar with this crate engine? I assume the 364 is cubic inches?

And please, no flame wars on carb vs. fuel injection.

364 is the cubic inch displacement of the LS2. LS6 heads should be around the 10.5:1 compression mark.

5700 dollars for an all aluminum V8 doesn't sound bad to me, but you can do better money wise through Fbody parts with a low mile LS1/T56 combo.

This actually looks like it could be a cheap way to LS2 type power. My whole problem is budget. Cheapest way to an LS engine is a complete LS1 pull out that includes the FI and all the sensors/electronics/transmission. At that point going carb would be a false economy since I would be throwing away the FI. But that also means LS1 (no 4" bore) with lower flowing heads and a 320 HP starting point.

Aluminum block LS2 pull outs are still commanding top dollar (upwards of $8k) and have the wrong oil pan. If I get this engine I could probably top it with a carb and maybe $500 of missing ignition parts to get the final price in for what a 320 HP FI LS1 costs. The deal breaker could be adding the tranny and whatever missing accessories I will need.

The cam on this crate engine looks to have the same specs as the standard LS1 engine.

Camshaft, Lift (I/E) : 0.500"/ 0.500" , Hydraulic roller

Camshaft Duration @ 0.050" I/E : 200/203 degrees

I would be willing to bet a cam change would put this thing over 520+ HP. I know a brand new, LS1 crate engine will exceed 500 HP with just an upgraded cam.

I do know that the LS2 engines repositioned the knock sensors, so I am pretty sure you can't graft an LS1 injection system onto the LS2 without a new program in the ECU. Maybe someone has found a cheap way to solve that problem, but going carb could probably save a couple of thousand dollars off the price of finishing off an LS2 engine with the missing FI pieces. That is not including the price of tuning software or future replacement of failed sensors.

Plus think of how old school a 1970 240z with a carbed, aluminum block motor would be. I know FI is the better method, but one has to ask at what cost? I mean, which would you rather have, a 320 HP FI motor or a 500+ HP carbed motor that is still street worthy?

The LS2 utilizes LS6 heads and the CR is 10.7 to 1.

And I won't say a thing about FI owning carbureted installs... :icon56:

Yea, that sound right. I think 400 rwhp is very easy on an ls1 with stock heads, just cam and headers.

The FI isnt all that complicated and the 320 hp rating on the LS1 is RWHP putting the stock engine at 368 crank.

It's plenty stout.