HybridZ

Racing junk 240Z

The seller's reply was that the car ran mid-low 9's with a 427, and is now "probably" running mid 8's with the 469 - but didn't offer hard numbers. It has Merlin cast-iron rectangular-port heads, a Powerglide and a Dana-60 rear. My personal preferences would be a lighter rear, a stick-shift and oval-port aluminum heads. With the Dana and the cast-iron heads, however, the 2200 lb weight is very impressive!

I wouldn’t be surprised of that weight figure is optimistic. With aluminum heads, Doug Nash 5-speed, R200, mild-steel roll cage and very liberal slicing of the unibody, I’m hoping to get my 280Z under 2600 lbs. It weighed in at 2725 with cast-iron 236 heads, full-size starter (figure 10 lbs savings), stock hood (new hood weighs 7 lbs). And about 30 lbs have been saved from gutting the doors, hood mounting area, “baggage compartment†behind the seats, etc.

Anyway, my original thought was that $24K is pretty cheap for a pro-built car running in the 9’s. But then I realized that even if this car is exactly as advertised, it’s too specialized for my tastes. I’d waste $1000’s undoing what’s been done, just to get it the way I want it.

Nevertheless, the next time that I’m in the D.C. area, I’ll pay a visit to see the car. Something tells me that it won’t sell anytime soon. Unfortunately for the seller, the Z community just won’t support a $24,000 car – and the sort of folks willing to drop that kind of money on a dragster would be looking at Chevelles, not Datsuns.