- Spools of wire x 2

- Welder tips x 4

- Black Diamond Blast Media x 2

- Aluminum Oxide Blast Media

- 75/25 shielding gas and tank

- Cheap welding mask x 2

Cost: $250

What was done:

Alright, been awhile since the last update. Again, not much has been done to the vehicle, but preparations are being made. We have been buying the tools and parts needed to get the actual project started. The welder was up and running for the first time today, it will take some time to actually get used to welding. Did some testing and found that there are some kinks to work out. We did try the blaster out on an old go kart though. The media kept plugging the gun so we gave up on it. We’ll try it later with the new aluminum oxide media. The aluminum oxide stuff is ridiculously expensive $25 a small container.

Problems:

- blast media is plugging, have not tried the aluminum oxide

- have to work with the welder more, not enough practice or time under my belt

Pictures:

(hmm... couldn't help but to take pictures:rolleyesg:lol:)

sand-blaster

graduation010026dy.th.jpg

Welding mask

graduation010036im.th.jpg

The Blast media (black diamond and its results) (aluminum oxide stuff, haven't tried it yet with a size comparison)

graduation010045ky.th.jpggraduation010067zy.th.jpggraduation010072tr.th.jpggraduation010084bu.th.jpg

The shielding gas tank

graduation010055is.th.jpg

Link:

NONE

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

• 2 weeks later...

Date: 5/3/06

Time Spent: 15 minutes

Parts:

- Blast Media x 3 bags

Cost: $20

What was done:

So the sandblaster was sitting in the garage with some useless media (it clogged). I decided to go find some finer media that would not clog the blaster. Well, I found some media and bought three bags. It was actually cheaper than the stuff that was clogging! So, first I decided to test it on the gokart... and, well... one thing led to another and before I knew it I was having at it with the passenger side wheel well of the Z. The feeling was great but it only lasted for a moment. I wanted more, so I decided to try blasting the battery tray area. Well, all was going good when it hits me like a brick wall. The pressurized media tank ran out of blast media. I wanted to cry because I had bags of media sitting across the garage, but I knew I needed to stop myself. I was shouting to myself in my head, "CONTROL YOURSELF! CONTROL YOURSELF!" After being possessed I was able to regain control of my body and put the blaster away. Next time I might not be as lucky! So I pickleX (ed) it and decided I could show some pics. I was extremely impressed by the results. Still haven't used the aluminum oxide; I'll be saving that for later.

Problems:

- NO Rotisserie! (yet)

- some pits left from removed rust! (easily fixed)

Pictures:

New (and improved) blast media

53060014qc.th.jpg

Picture of Passenger side wheel well. Essentially what driver side looked like.

53060063nv.th.jpg

Overall pictures of the work (black/brown/yellowish isn't rust. It is undercoat and zinc metal/paint)

53060028kg.th.jpg53060052rs.th.jpg

Close up (battery tray on right)

53060036lv.th.jpg53060042is.th.jpg

*NEW SECTION*

Hi-Res Pictures_ this section will feature pictures that I feel you must see in high resolution to appreciate. They will be featured in both my standard format and high resolution so those without broad-band will not miss out.

High Resolution Pictures:

5306005high9ux.th.jpg

Link:

NONE

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

Date: 5/4/06

Time Spent: 30 minutes

Parts:

-none

What was done:

Well, couldn't control myself. I ended up blasting a little more :). It is such a blast! I didn't do the entire body, but cleaned up what I had and did a little more. Starting to really wish I had a rotisserie right about now. Anyway, on with the pictures :burnout:*edit* This blasting is not fully complete. Nor is it the last. Just having fun experimenting with the sandblaster. Once the rotisserie is made and we are ready to attach the car to it, the vehicle will be thoroughly blasted and cleaned. *end edit*

Problems:

- None

Pictures:

The newly blasted areas.

54060029wv.th.jpg54060035vk.th.jpg

Overall Body

540600411110ea.th.jpg54060059rf.th.jpg

Areas needing some TLC. The underbody coating is coming off as easily as the wheel well coating :). Far right picture is battery tray area. Yes it will be fixed

54060069ly.th.jpg54060077gt.th.jpg54060081dx.th.jpg

High Resolution Pictures (Beware 56k):

5406002highresolution9ui.th.jpg5406005highresolution7mr.th.jpg

Link:

NONE

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

Date: 5/4/06

Time Spent: 30 minutes

Parts:

- blast media x 4 = 26$

What was done:

Got out of school at 10:45! so I thought I would go ahead and use the time wisely. Bought some media and had at the other side. This whole time I dreaded sandblasting, but now I am really enjoying it. I am only upset that I do not have a rotisserie. Again, the body isn't completely done because I had to go to work, but I tried to get as much done as possible. This is not the final product because there will be a rotisserie and the car will be blasted again with more proficiency (making sure all the crud is taken care of)

I have gone through a lot of sand already. So I have been debating whether to filter it and re-use it, or to throw it away. Based on input, I will decide to save it or toss it. Unit then, I'll store it in a large bucket.

Problems:

- Lack of auto rotisserie

Pictures:

The Driver Side Wheel Well

56060019ik.th.jpg

Overall

56060026jm.th.jpg

Areas needing some work (from left to right) driver side front rocker panel piece? Rear left tailight area.. Rear right tailight area...

56060030yh.th.jpg56060043yp.th.jpg56060053sk.th.jpg

Man thats a lot of sand!

56060062aj.th.jpg

5606001high9yd.th.jpg

Link:

NONE

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

Date: 5/7/06

Time Spent: 1 hour

Parts:

- None

What was done:

Not too much was done to be honest. Sandblasted some of the driver side interior and cleaned some of the other area a little bit more. Blasting didn't take too much time it was the vacuuming and the sweeping that killed most of the time. All I keep thinking is how much more efficient it would be if we had a rotisserie!

I am pretty surprised how clean this car has been so far. To be honest, I like watching mull's videos ( http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106731 ) and saying "man, I got lucky... it must suck to be him." But he is truly an inspiration. Anyway, lets get back on track.

I guess I'll be filtering the blast media because in a single session I go through about 1-1/2 bags. Lets hope all goes well.

Problems:

- none

Pictures:

Newly blasted and pickleX(ed) interior

57060015fv.th.jpg57060041qs.th.jpg

Overall from a distance

57060028fl.th.jpg57060038yf.th.jpg

5706001high8zo.th.jpg5706004high1pn.th.jpg

Link:

NONE

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

Hahaha, yeah - it sucks to be me, or rather used to : )

Great to see more people taking lots of pics while restoring their Z!

You should build a rotisserie, it makes "everything" so much easier. Do it! :)

Either way you could probably do with a rosisserie when trying to get all the sand out of the car ;)

• Like 1

Hahaha' date=' yeah - it sucks to be me, or rather [b']used to[/b] : )

Great to see more people taking lots of pics while restoring their Z!

You should build a rotisserie, it makes "everything" so much easier. Do it! :)

Either way you could probably do with a rosisserie when trying to get all the sand out of the car ;)

WOW! nice to see you post in here. Never would have thought you'd come in :mrgreen:. Told the guy's I got a post from you and they would not believe me until I showed them. I actually think it made their day. They told me to tell you that we watch your videos in sequence once a week. Though, one sometimes falls asleep to them ;) (I think he's dreaming of the Z though)

I'm hoping to build that rotisserie. We have had it planned, but it has been hard for me to commit 400$ to steel. (I'm a highschool student) I am trying to find someone that will sell the steel for less money. If I can not find cheaper, i'll have to buy it for $400. Plus, after this Z we'll prolly do another one to sell so having a rotisserie will be a bonus there.

*EDIT* when is the next video coming! I'm getting a little anxious! *END EDIT*

*EDIT* just realized what rate thread does! ROFLMBO 5 star my rear *END EDIT*

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

Wow, $400 seems a bit steep. I went to a scrap yard and picked up

some metal there. The rotisserie material cost me a total of: $225

If you need some inspiration, check this site out, it's where I got my

inspiration from anyway. The friend I had draw the whole thing in a

CAD program made some alterations to the base though.

http://www.zparts.com/zptech/articles/restoration/phenley/rotisserie/index.htm

Really looking forward to seeing more pics on this project - well documented

Z-restorations get all my respect and admiration. Keep up the good work! : )

Oh, and if you want to see how the rotisserie was built, there's a... um... video

of that as well. D/L it here: http://www.voodoo-people.com/~daz/mull/mull@garaget-vaggan.the.movie.avi

Cheers! :)

Going to watch the video. That rotisserie looks a wee bit untrustworthy (the one in the link) modifications to the base looks like a must! :)

Possibly have an 280zx parts car. I'll post some pics etc once its in my driveway.

I have had a crummy week.

-School is packing on some difficult homework assignments

-(Even though good, it took away from the Z) My sister graduated from college! and I had to miss work for her graduation/party

-Work has been screwing my scheduling... continuously scheduling me on days that I can NOT work. Then when I call in the day before to let them know, they chew me out!

-Found Out I am going to need surgery, more below...

Most important thing I found out is that I am going to need surgery. I have a pretty bad "nasal septal deviation" which is going to have to be taken care of. Surgery is on may 23 and I can not do any strenuous activities for 2 weeks. No WORK no MONEY... I can not lift weights (a favorite hobby) I can not work on the car! During summer I work full time for only $6 an hour. NOW i miss 2 weeks of pay!

My rants over. I'll post once I figure out this 280zx parts car situation

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

NICE video... really enjoyed it! :burnout:

Well, let me explain this parts car 280zx

[EDIT]

thought it was a good deal, but the car wasn't even close to how it was described, so I decided not to purchase it.

[EDIT]

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

• 2 weeks later...

Had surgery on Wednesday the 23rd... Oh man did it suck. I am still in pain. Everything is healing up quite well though according to the doctor, so anyhow. Nothing was done to the Z and no money was brought in to really put towards it. I should be able to continue work on the 7th of June. I only hope sooner!

Date: 5/26/06

Time Spent: 5 minutes

Parts:

- None

What was done:

Finally got around to ordering the steel from the town's local business. Should be here next Wednesday.

Problems:

- none

Pictures:

-none

[/url]

-none

Link:

NONE

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

I apologize, would you like me to change it?

:mrgreen:

would you like it? I will give it to you... with your name on it... seriously!

I'll make one right now, alright :)

[edit]I tried... but I can't make another... I'm out of ideas. I'm going to have to keep this one and I'll put a warning in my sig. I sincerely apologize for it being misleading. I will fix it right now... on the bright side, eventually I hope for it to look similiar ;):D [/edit]

• 2 weeks later...

Date: 6/8/06

Time Spent: 65 minutes

Parts:

- Steel

Cost:

- Do not know yet. He'll let us know when we are finished at his shop.

What was done:

haha, we get there and he forgot to order some 3" square tubing... guess we'll have to wait till that comes in before we can start building the rotisserie. Ah well, we did get some of the steel cut and brought it on home. He was kind enough to let us use his saw... which probably made it a lot easier than using a grinder with a cutting disk.

Problems:

- The company 'forgot' to order some of the steel! meaning more waiting time

Pictures:

69069wu.th.jpg

-none

Link:

http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/Rotisserie(rev.2).pdf

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

Date: 6/14/06

Time Spent: 45 minutes

Parts:

- Steel

Cost:

- Do not know yet. He'll let us know when we are finished at his shop.

What was done:

The steel came in the other day, but there was not enough time to pick it up. We ended up going today and finished cutting the remainder of the steel. All that is left to purchase are some grease fittings, some casters, and some bolts. Other than that we're set.

We will probably try to start welding up the main structure on the weekend, but no guarantees because it is Fathers day on Sunday. We'll hopefully have it finished fairly quick though. I'll make sure to get a lot of pictures of the rotisserie build + finished product. Again, the plans are on the bottom of the page.

Problems:

- Just not enough time in a day ;)

Pictures:

Pile of steel (left) Cutting machine (right)

[/url]69060017oj.th.jpg 69060027sm.th.jpg

-none

Link:

Thanks for your time,

Z0wner

Date: 6/17/06

Time Spent: 45 minutes

Parts:

- None

Cost:

- Guy hasn't been at the shop... got to check Monday

What was done:

We started welding up the rotisserie. Unfortunately, it was very windy outside... meaning some really poopy welds. We are new at welding anyway, so the wind made things only a bit worse. (haha) We did the base of one side, then it started getting way to windy! It started to really upset us, so we decided to tack weld everything together and do some actual welds when it gets nicer outside. Good thing we have a grinder! :D Anyway, the pictures are of one side tacked together. Lets hope it all goes well and we are able to get this done in a timely manner.

We are modifying the plans of the rotisserie a little bit. The plans suggest using some plate steel as bracing, but we are thinking that this will be stout enough... especially considering it is only going to be holding a Z shell.

More pictures as we get more done :)

Problems:

- Wind

- Inexperience at welding

Pictures:

I'm sure you can figure it out ;)

617060015hy.th.jpg 617060029hn.th.jpg617060035bb.th.jpg617060044hd.th.jpg

61706002de5yx.th.jpg61706003de2ed.th.jpg

Link:

Thanks for your time,