HybridZ

280zx front body panels..

hoov100

i was looking at speeders one piece fibergalss front end and was wonder if it is possibly to do that to a 280zx using the stock panels, i know custom mounts/hinges will have to be made, but just integrate the fenders/headlight buckets/hood, all into one moving piece that you could possibly just use some hood pins and pull the entire front body off the car. this is just a concept in my head....

i was thinking something like this

SGBD0.jpg

I think that would be nice but it looks a little short to fit on a zx IMO. And there is a power buldge on the stock hood for a reason, because of the high profile of the L28 engine. Now this is just looking at the rendering that is shown.

I think that what hoov100 has in mind is to use the stock (steel) components that are already on the car. Am I right hoov100?

This is an idea that I have been toying around with for my 83 280zx also. Except that I want to incorporate the air dam for the tilt as well while losing the front bumper in the process.

Guest levelhead86
I think that what hoov100 has in mind is to use the stock (steel) components that are already on the car. Am I right hoov100?

This is an idea that I have been toying around with for my 83 280zx also. Except that I want to incorporate the air dam for the tilt as well while losing the front bumper in the process.

Great minds must think alike, because I had the same idea... i dunno I'f I'm going to go through with that yet, but definately a future plan.

yep, since im propably going to repaint my hood anyway, i was thinking of just welding all the panels together, grind them down till there smooth, then install about 4-6 hood pins at specific points, the only challenge im going to be face with is getting a mig welder.

the more i look at it the more it looks like i wouldnt be able to do it without removing the bumpers, so i guess i would have to use pins, i was thinking, just welding the gap where the fender meets the hood, then down below where the back of the headlight bucket meets fender, then go right and weld the other side to the hood.

It's going to take more than just welding together the gaps between the hood and fenders. As it sits now, there are a few braces holding the fenders in place to the car. If you remove these braces, something else is going to need to be fabricated to keep them from flapping in the wind while driving down the road. Some sort of brace that will tie them together with the hood.

The headlight buckets should be no big deal. They are made of fiberglass and should be glassed to the fenders easily enough.

If you decide to keep the bumper, hinges could be fabricated that will not just fold forward (like a pivot point) but lift the frontend as it folds forward.

Evilrufaskay has a few pics on his site of the tilt fron end on his z. It is not a zx but it should help with some ideas.

http://users.adelphia.net/~evilrufuskay/awwwwwwww_yeah.htm