HybridZ

What to swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am doing a ground up on a 71 with an eye toward daily driver street and one day maybe autocross.

I have 2 parts cars complete a 77 and some of an 82zx n/a.

My question is since I have all of these free parts lying around, what suspension parts should I canniblize for my 240? At the least I intend to use the parts for the R-200 conversion and the steering arms (for balljoint purposes only) from the 280Z. I will use the half shafts and rear brake assy from the zx.

Any thing else? Is the front crossmember on the 280 stronger? What about strut assemblies? Stub axles, any reason to change?

Sorry for all the questions just kind of brain-storming aloud. Thoughts, comments appreciated.

Rich

Stub axles from the 280 are nice to have, and the hub assemblies from a 280 are interchangable. You can swap the sway bars from the 280z as well, and I would use the cross member from the 280, because you can go ahead and do the JTR mod for bump steer. I'd look at wheel and tire issues while you have these extra hubs and stub axles... You might want to re-think and look into drilling them for a more common bolt pattern! It will make wheel selection easier. Hand onto the strut assemblies since if you ever decide tyo swap to coil overs, you can do them on existing housings and then swap them onto the car. i'm told that ZX front hub assemblies will bolt on, but doublecheck that. Obviously you want to hang onto both R200 rears! Anything else I can think of, I'll let you know!

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Speaking of the JTR bumpsteer mod - anyone done it? Is it worth it? My wheel kicks aoround a bit going down the road (solid steering shaft) and am wondering if this mod would help. I'm looking for a spare crossmember anyway and had been considering making these mods to it. Would appreciate any comments on it's effectiveness. I've already got spacers under my struts it seems (shrug).

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Mike for the suggestions! Could you elaborate a little on the 280Z stubaxles? Why are they good to have around?

I just swapped the R-200 out of the 280Z into my project 240Z. One question. What must I utilize for a new torque strap above the diff.? The 240 one rides atop the dif. mount bolts and the 280 one does not bolt in. Do I need to fabricate a new strap bracket or is there a direct bolt in?

Thanks,

Rich

The 280Z stub axles are larger in the splined area. This area is one of the weak areas of the stub axle. The other area that breaks is the friction weld of the wheel mounting flange to the axle. Since the shaft is larger in the splined area, note that the companion flange for the 280Z must be used with the 280Z stub axles as well.

The short tubes that hold the torque strap needed to be turned around on my 240 to shift the strap back (?) so the bolts would clear the torque strap. I added a polyurethane bumper to it (it has a stud on the back). The strap and bumper no push the diff down enough to compress the mount about 1/4".

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -