HybridZ

radiator?

Help. i need to know what radiator everybody uses in their cars.I have a

bracket racer with a 76 datsun z car small block chevy motor and it has a vw sirocco radiator in it the problem being that if i have to go rounds at the races it overheats im looking for a good two or three row radiator that will fit with miner adjustments.

The mid 80's v6 camaro rad is a popular choice, the camaro v8 rad is too wide, but the v6 rad works pretty well. As pointed out above this is the one recomended by JTR, they sell it for a reasonable price, or you can pick it up local. I can check my book for exact year.

The standard rad. out of a 84 to 86 V8 Camaro fits, earlier ones may also not sure. it's about 26 inches wide, the heavy duty cooling rad. will NOT fit too wide. Get the top fan shroud it has the rubber mounts built into it to hold the rad. at the top, you'll need to modify it. You can fabricate a lower bracket, not that difficult, the rad. needs to be rubber mounted top and bottom.

I have never bracket raced, but I always thought you wanted to run as big a radiator as you could fit to give you more capacity to absorb heat and give you better consistency.

I run an arizona z car radiator on a small block chevy and it fills up the whole front. So far the car runs at 180 to 190 degrees. I think the only way you could fit a larger radiator is to cut the frame rails.

I don't know who wrote this - I've been saving it for years...

I use the radiator out of a 77-78 Pontiac Grand Prix. These were V-8 cars (400 ci I think) and are identical to the lightweight Camaro radiators. The only difference is that the entire radiator is brass construction, naturally weighing a little more than the Camaro. I retrieved mine from a junk yard for $50 bucks and it was in near perfect condition. Pontiac's are a dime a dozen and finding this radiator should be very easy. It even has an integral AT cooler. I use a 18" flex fan and the shroud of another Pontiac that will fit the radiator. There are two styles, on is deeper and the other is short, but the shroud width is the same. Use the short style. My Z stays nice and cool

The Camaro Alum. rad is very light, which is a good thing to keep weight down in the front of the car. If it's mounted correctly it won't shake apart. 76 brkracer are you running an electric fan?? The Camaro is a single row rad.

look in summit racing or even ebay.

you can get a 26 or 24x19 (depending on framerail clearance) for under 200 bucks if you can fab up some mounts for it.

most that i have seen are 2 1 inch cores that cool very well and may be cheaper than the camaro ones(may be wrong).

If you are not worried about weight, just get a stock Z radiator recored to a 3 row core. Shouldn't cost more than $100. Quite a few guys have used that set up with no cooling problems. Bolts right in with no additional brackets. Only worry then is whether your fan is strong enough.