HybridZ

VG30DET - best turbo

260DET

Yeh its the single turbo T3 flanged JDM version of the VG30DETT. Looking for 500whp and good mid range torque, 7000rpm and whatever boost it takes. Was thinking of an internally gated GT35R with a 1.06 turbine but there is some talk around that the GT35R is a bit missmatched turbine/compressor wise. The turbine is a bit small for the compressor?

Any suggestions, comments, alternatives?

Yeh its the single turbo T3 flanged JDM version of the VG30DETT. Looking for 500whp and good mid range torque' date=' 7000rpm and whatever boost it takes. Was thinking of an internally gated GT35R with a 1.06 turbine but there is some talk around that the GT35R is a bit missmatched turbine/compressor wise. The turbine is a bit small for the compressor?

Any suggestions, comments, alternatives?[/quote']

1.06 A/R?

I wouldn't go bigger than an .8x housing. But then I don't know a whole lot about that turbo so take that with a grain of salt.

If a GT35R is mismatched' date=' then the GT30R that uses the same comp wheel with a smaller turbine mustn't work at all?

Dave[/quote']

You going to give me a hard time Dave? But thats interesting, to my turboignorant brain it suggests one of the two is not optionally matched.

Everything is a compromise. I would think that a turbo could be considered mismatched if the engine doesn't make as much hp as the compressor can flow, which indicates that the turbine side is choking things.

This is not the case with the GT35R I believe. A friend is making 640hp (dynojet/USA hp) with a 1.06 GT35R on a SR20. The compressor only flows a shade over 60lb/min which indicates to me that the turbine is perfectly happy flowing more air.

The 0.82 housing obviously flows less than the larger 1.06. Garret website graph will tell you how much.

Dave