HybridZ

Braille Auto battery (11.5 lbs for race version and 15 lbs for street version)

74_5.0L_Z

Well, after everyone's input, I have ordered the PC680MJT. It should be here in a few days. After it arrives, I will relocate my battery from the area behind the passenger side rear wheel well to the little shelf behind the passenger seat.

This is about the easiest 30 lbs, I have left to remove from the car. In addition, relocating the battery will have the added benefits of a slightly lower CG and PMOI for the car.:D

• 7 months later...

Dan,

any feedback on the Odyssey? Had any cranking issues with the rear location?

Read somewhere that the Braille battery is just a rebranded Deka with the equivalent Deka retailing for about $60+. Folks have tried to get an answer to this including asking on the Braille forum but had no response, not even a rebuttal.

I suspect that these are super capacitors or dual-layer capacitors by another name. These are a hybrid between a capacitor and a battery and possess qualities of both. They're not only smaller/lighter, but they can be completely discharged hundreds of times with no damage. They'll take a charge quicker, have extremely low internal resistence, and are relatively unaffected by heat/cold compared to a lead-acid type.

JaysZ... If these are indeed dual-layer capacitors, your charging system may not be "sensing" the battery due to the extremely low internal resistence. If this is the case, I'm sure the seller can suggest a fix. Hopefully this won't be limited to a regulator upgrade!!

Does anyone know if these are dual-layer capacitors?

EDIT: I read the on-line brochures and tech notes and these do NOT appear to be dual-layer caps but rather another form of lead-acid type.