HybridZ

boost problems with my z31

300zxRB26

ok guys so i was driven last night and i notice my stock boost gauge in my 88t wasn't boostin like it should. It was only creatin like 2-3 lbs of boost when its supposed to be 5. whats goin on here? Plus my boost sensor up by my right head light is clicking when i slightly touch the gas pedal. Plus i listened last night to c if was boostin/listenin for the whistle of the waste gate opening but i heard hardly anything. help me out

i didnt get any suggestions from you guys so i decided to look into my car myself and found out that my turbo siezed. I'm guessin from lack of oil, anywho anyone know of any t3/04e turbos for sale and an 86 exhaust manifold. Now has anyone thought of making and oil circuit for the turbo only having an oil pump and a resevoir for just the turbo?

I didn't notice your thread somehow. Sorry for not helping out.

Its possible that the turbo just seized from the oil cooking in the housing and building up junk in there. The 86-87 "T3" turbos were watercooled so that usually helps out, but there's a good chance its just at that age. At the same time it is also possible that the feed or return got clogged so definitely be sure to check both of those before putting another turbo on so that the new one doesn't die the same way.

I'm sure they make an external oiling kit for turbo setups but it shouldn't be necessary. For an extreme performance application, it may not be a bad idea though to keep the turbo cooler and the engine's oil cooler as well.

As for the turbo are you looking for some performance upgrades? If so, you'll need to be sure to upgrade everything else accordingly. Fuel, aftercooler, etc. will be necessary once you start turning up the boost.

As for some t3/t4 turbos I'd probably look around on ebay for some Garrett or similar turbos. Definitely stay away from those XS engineering or SS autochrome or whatever turbos. I've heard of some bad stories of those.

A seized turbo doesn't make 2-3 lbs of boost. If you caught it the moment before it seized that is amazing. The dying typical make noise and don't go quietly. My first guess would be a vac leak, especially in the line going to the boost gage. Every single z31 I have had has had that particular line die. I too am sorry you didn't get a speedy reply, but I wasn't going to break into the library over the weekend to take care of it. I think I have 3 cars now that have that line repaired with the end of a cheapy ballpoint pin metal cartridge. The springs end up in 280zx wiper motors, but that is another story.

actually i tore it apart because thats the word i got from a friend (the siezed info) and all it was, was my wastegate actuator arm lost it E clip and it was an easy fix im just glad my turbo didnt go because my family is having a rough time right now and i dont have a job to pay for a new one. thanks for your answers tho.

Well, the turbo isn't necessary for your car to be driveable.

My friend had the same problem, the wastegate actuator rod lost its clip. I kept telling him his z31 wasn't making any boost but he wouldn't believe me for the longest time. Heh, then when he hooked it back up...