HybridZ

What gas in an sr20det

I'm currently in the process of putting an 2000 s15 sr20det engine and 6 speed in my Z, it's gonna be my commuter when im done. Can anyone tell me what fuel you run in your sr240's??? i'm getting a gt2871r and doing a few other things too but nothing over 250whp, is it ok to run just 93 outta the pump???

I'm currently in the process of putting an 2000 s15 sr20det engine and 6 speed in my Z, it's gonna be my commuter when im done. Can anyone tell me what fuel you run in your sr240's??? i'm getting a gt2871r and doing a few other things too but nothing over 250whp, is it ok to run just 93 outta the pump???

I am no expert, but I do have a running car that I have been driving and I have done a lot of research.

Why are you getting a GT2871R if you aren't going over 250 whp? Is that even possible? Are you planning on running 6 psi? My GT2871R is internally wastegated at 14 psi. If you run a GT2871R, you are going to have to get 550 cc injectors. I would recommend 740's because the GT2871R flows enough air that the 550's will be running at 100% duty cycle. You will also have to have a bigger AFM and a reflash of your computer. I think these are minimums if you go to the GT2871R. I think you are going to have over 300 whp whether you want to or not, unless you just run it out of tune. That is also going to create an issue with that tranny that you are using. All of my research, suggests that the six speed has reliability issues at higher hp. It seems that the 6 speed tranny is the 5 speed tranny with thinner gears to fit an extra one. I think most of the drift guys switch from 6 speed to 5 speeds to keep from breaking the thinner gears.

As for gas, I run 93 octane pump gas. I have had 0 knock at the stock setup. I still have 0 knock with the GT2871R setup but I am running way rich and need to retune. I anticipate being able to lean the tune and still run 93 octane with my FMIC at 14-17 psi.

we were making 360whp on 91 octane with a garrett gt25r and 550cc injectors, you shold definitely be on the safe side, and if your only going for 250whp, dont even bother with the 2871r, keep the stock s15 t28, you will have better response

i dont mind a few extra ponies, whats wrong with that? I just wasnt aware of how high an outout that turbo has, but its cool. I see alot of stuff on here about the diffs between hte gt2871r and the gt25r, what are yur guys opinions on either? and what kind of mileage do you guys get with a tuned up sr20det making say 360-400 ponies???

I am still not done tuning, but I expect 25 mpg on my daily commute. However, I am sure that if I put my foot in it, I will lose mileage. If you get the GT2871R, remember that it is going to cost between $2,000 and $3,000 for the required upgrades. You will have to have:

GT2871R $1075

Fuel Injectors $ 489 *

Upgrade ECU $600 to $1500 *

Z32 MAF $150

The $489 is what I paid for Nismo 740's. You can go cheaper if you want

The ECU upgrade is $550 plus shipping for a flash from Enthalpy or more for a standalone. I have $1100 in my APEXi Power FC with commander and datalogit.

All of these upgrades are required if you switch to a GT2871R.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a old thread, But I suggest on swapping the 6 speed for a 5 speed. Reason is, is that the speedo sender is not on the tranny, its on the diff on the S15 .

So either keep the tranny and swap the diff as well,

or get a 5 speed, I believe the KA tranny and SR trannies are the same as far as bell housing and mounting goes.

The S15's 480cc injectors should go a long way further than the S13/S14's 370cc.

I've seen some pretty powerful S15's on pretty stock setups. 300hp is easily attainable with the stock turbo.

Is there a reason why you're already planning to upgrade the turbo? (if you don't want a buttload of power)