HybridZ

71 240z Tranny Advice Needed

Guest st_430

Guest st_430

I've got my new toy and need to get it running. It has the original four speed and it is stuck in fiirst. I can diagnose/repair the tranny at a later date, but for now, I need to get it going and get plates. There are many junkyards in the Denver area and you can help yourself to a tranny for $75-100. There are plenty of 260s and 280s, but the 240s are kinda rare. I am not terribly concerned about the best ratios at this point, just convenience. Obviously the same tranny would be easiest, but I dont know what years it was used. If someone could list my options for me, I would really appreciate it. Also, if a different model is a direct fit and more desireable, that info would be helpful.

All manual trannies from 70-76 are the 4 speed. Starting in 77 I beleive they started putting in 5 spds in some 280zs, others had the 4 spd still. All manual 280zxs are 5 spd with the 83 turbos having the BW 5 speed. All of these manual trannies 70-83 will bolt up. I do beleive you might have to do some driveshaft mods. The NA 280zx 5 speeds seem to be a very popular swap. Search and you can find some more answers. Good luck

Normally aspirated 280ZX would be my first choice. Closest ratio 5 speed you can get. The 280Z 5 speed would be my second. It has a really wide gap between 2nd and 3rd which kills acceleration. 4 speeds are pretty similar gear ratio wise. The 280ZX Turbo 5 speed is the Borg Warner unit and really requires an upgrade to an aftermarket shifter. Gear ratios are wide, not the best for a NA car, but it is the strongest of the bunch.

One thing you might want to check into is whether you have the type A or type B transmission. The type A is about 3" longer, so if you put the type B in, the shifter won't clear the hole in the center console. The best fix for this is to BEND THE SHIFTER. Lots of people will cut the hole in the console bigger, but then the shift boot doesn't fit right anymore. Not very hard to bend the shifter.

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/69-83TrannyShifterDrawing.jpg

If you go to zhome.com, then click on the Index of Technical Articles there is one called Swapping the Transmissions in a 240Z

Guest st_430

Thanks. If I gathered the right info, I should look for any 70-83 4spd and they are the same. I read something about pre-October prduction date 71's and the 5spd not fitting the tunnel. Any info on this would be helpful down the road.