HybridZ

Those with 17 inch wheels...

My reason for 17s is the same as Mike Kelly's - tires just aren't available in 15 or 16 to do things anymore, or they won't be in just a few years. I came across a great package deal on wheels, tires, AZ Zcar brakes, stub axles, and custom CV shaft adapters from Jim Biondo when he was changing stuff on his car.

Yeah, 17s have there drawbacks, but I decided to go for it due to the tire choice issue and I like the wheels and they are light and stiff.

Yeah, Wilwood calipers don't have seals - big deal, I'll put less than 4000 miles on it a year (I live a mile from work and I will only ocassionally drive it there.)

Throw the criticisms about my choices if you like, but like Lone said, I built it my way based on decisions on what made sense in many areas. Hell with a 10 year span of years for designing and building this car, lots of things have been done that I wish were different. Then again, I can always go back and change things I don't like.

If the super cheap deal I got on the rad turns out to be wasted money because it overheats, big deal, I 'll put a Griffin in it and I'll have a BIG radiator AND a BIG fan.

If the Tremec IS the notchy hunk of junk it's reputed to be, oh, well, I'll get a T-56. I'm not concerned. It's a living project.

I'm just tired of getting pot shots about my choices lately guys, had to vent. Lone, I know you weren't taking one.

Pete - I hope I'm not one of the ones you feel is being critical. heck, I OWN one of those notchy Tremecs and I wouldn't have said anything about it except that I would want to warn anyone who's considering it that it's got shortfalls. It's your car, build it your way like the rest of us do. I've no doubt that some of the decisions I make will be different than someone else (shrug). At least it's not a bellybutton car :-)

As for the Wilwoods - price drives me fairly often. You got a deal on a set of parts you know was gonna' work - what's to bitch about? Enjoy the ride man! I actually didn't realize that they didn't have seals -I've seen them on more than a couple of cars too...

17inch wheels? They don't ride harsh IMO. I've got them on the Mustang and my biggest bitch is price. The smaller donuts in 16 and 15 seem to be cheaper - I'm no tire connesuir tho' :-) I do expect I'll be dropping some change on this car's tires as they won't be wearing out too quickly I hope due to minimal mileage. I've actually considered 16s becasue the Nitto drag radials in 17s are 275mm wide - too big I think!

Relax man - we're all in this together helping one another and you've been a fount of information to me at th every least.

Oh and Mr. Kelly - I'll be sending Mike a note this evening and ordering up the hardware. Going to be a lean next couple of months though - car went to the bodyshop today for th ehood, bumpers, windshield, and rear hatch seal. Can you say bux? Motor balance will be hitting the card too and I want to pay that off ASAP! Whew - but I'm ALMOST there :-)

BLKMGK, not you. I was probably being too sensitive anyway. I like to use these forum to pass what I think is correct info, but I'm always open to correction if I'm wrong. I also use these forums to put out ideas to see if I'm on a good path or not with a problem or a theory, etc. It's just that some of the stuff I've been putting out lately is getting criticized out of hand (I feel anyway). I put it out there to get feed back, and I thought I made it pretty clear that I was just thinking out loud. I'll put those words in from now on, if I can remember to.

No foul. Back to our regularly scheduled excellent technical discussions!

Don't worry Pete, I gotcha back man! We have both made "mistakes" as soem would claim, on our respective projects. But it was like my sweetheart and I were chatting tonight when we were struggling the last 30 miles to get home in the old technology Carb'ed motor I built... Great thing about building something like this.. She smiled and said that FI parts would be under the Xmass tree if she could help it! You can always improve as you go! It is yours, built by you, built for you.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Good information guys. I wasn't aware of the tire choice problems. I'm still driving a relatively stock 240z (which I will be doing a SBC swap on in the future) and so traction and tire choices have'nt been a problem. I know the tire industry is driven by the automakers who are definately increasing the size of their rims. And I suppose to get the speed ratings you need less sidewall to improve stability and cornering response. I hope I didn't come across implying it was merely a styling trend, if so it wasn't my intent.

Pparaska: Don't let em get to ya. I've learned a formula, particularly applicable on the internet:

"For every opinion, there is a equal and opposite opinion"

Sounds like physics huh? Theres another one, "Opinions are like...." oops, won't go there... smile.gif

Bottomline? Run whatcha like, have fun, and don't worry about what others think of the setup, long as it goes fast!

Regards,

Lone

my coil overs run 12" springs.the camber plates lower car about 1".i have had willwood calipers on back of my carfor 40000 miles and no problems.i use my turbo z for a daily driver and school car.i put a set of cobra r wheels and bear brakes on a mustang for a guy on a saturday.the tires wre big yoko avs.when setting brake balence uo the big tires gripped LESS than smaller tires.seemed like they slid on pavement with out biting into it.tires would bite if heated on track though.$3000 or $4000 worth of goodies and i really wasnt impressed.for street use i run 280zxt wheels with 205-60 15.with free used tires so i dont feel bad abourt smoking them off.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Mr. Kelly - Coil-overs are on their way from Mike :-) Car is IN the bodyshop now and I hope to pick it up Monday so I'll let you know when we can wrench. Motor is awaiting backordered damned oil pan AND I found out my LT1 flywheel won't fit the damned crank. DOH! It's a one-piece rear seal but it no workie - they must have duped the 400's rear crank setup too closely on that crank. Dammit! So, I'll be having them fit a $$Centerforce$$ flywheel ASAP. Crap. In the meantime perhaps we can try out the Cobra Rs? I've got the needed pinion flange now and will try to get seals into the diff this week. Lemme' know man and bring da' welding unit! Hope to have some writeup done on the hood when it returns and let's do something on the brakescoiloverswheels when we do mine. Fun and games.