HybridZ

Sportsman II's VS AFR 200+

Guest Needa406Z

Guest Needa406Z

I own and have used a set of Sportsman II's (pocket ported) for years now with decent power. Now I am rebuilding in search of more power! My question is, will heavily modified/ported sportsman II's ever flow the cfm and velocity that the current AFR 200 or 210 CNC flow pretty much out of the box/CNC'd. Or should I sell the heads and purchase some afr's...Thank you

Naturally it will depend on the care and extent and skill of the guy doing most of the porting work, but in reality ID say its a lost cause trying to get those sportsman heads flowing the same numbers, UNLESS, your willing to spend big bucks on a skilled port job from the better head port shops with a flow bench.

but even then youll spend a good deal of money to upgrade the current heads, and have cast iron heads that will eventually fill a dumpster, when you screw up simply because its not really feasible to repair cast iron heads once serious damage occurs, while most good shops can EASILLY and relatively cheaply tig weld and machine ALUMINUM head when you screw up,(and trust me if you race, SERIOUSLY, its only a matter of time before you over rev, drop a valve, run into detonation, bust a piston ETC.)

I would not think twice about the option, Id sell those heads and get the AFR heads, but just some info, AFR has redesigned their 195cc heads to flow as well as their 210cc-220cc heads and will supposedly have the newer style heads out for sale in the next 90-120 days

Heres some quotes from a different thread

Tony Mamo said "2-3 months before they start shipping to dealers and private individuals."

"new design 195 will replace the old production. New head is a whole different beast. They had a prototype there- very nice piece! Part number remains the same. Now the reason for delay is they are moving from their old shop (and I mean old) to a new location about 30 miles away"

"They are calling them the "eliminator" series. "

" I called AFR today and they said there new 195 Comps will flow as well as their current 220 heads. And that they are based of a LS1 or LS7 head....?? I can not remember exactly what the tech said?!?!? "

p104800_image_large.jpg

p104805_image_large.jpg

IMHO you can't compare the two. Sorta like apples and hand grenades. The only experience I have with the AFR 210s is in my boss' Nova. 385ci SBC. 600 lift custom hyd. roller cam, 8.7:1 cr, ATI Progarger D1SC. HAven't dynoed yet with this combo, but dynoed with P1SC, made 604hp @9psi @5800rpm at the rear wheels. That's when the belt started slipping. It was set up to run 14psi. We disconnected the blower and it still made 474 at the rear wheels, I think @ around 6900rpm. Those heads flow awsome.