HybridZ

Making the Injection move

cygnusx1

I took the first step to get away from the HP limiting, stock '83 EFI. I purchased a set of Ford Racing 42# Injectors-Bosch Green Tops. I am going to go with SDS because it seems like a timesaver over all of the other systems. Time is money, and so is time lost behind the wheel of a turbo Z. I will soon be selling the Begi FMU, and the entire '83 system, also a set of six stock turbo ZX new injectors that only have 8,000 miles on them. I was able to squeeze out 265rwhp and 300rwt out of the stock EFI at 15psi boost, 65psi peak fuel, and a restrictive intake tube with full 2.5" exhaust.

More is my goal. Driveability, Efficiency, and Power.

I crushed (just a little) the spring in my stock FPR and was able to get up to 60 psi of fuel pressure at full throttle. I put a socket over the little hose nipple and smacked it with a hammer untill my fuel pressure was where I thought it should be. I think it was hitting about 60psi its been awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

i use the stock 280 zxt fpr with my megasquirt.but since i switched to o-ring injectors the fpr is mounted to the strut tower.the oem zxt efi system ran ok on my car but but it is a fun killer for a turbo engine.i was looking at sds but i decided to try megasquirt.my opinion about ms is that it is educational but a lot of work reasearching .and i am a moron with computor software so that made ms harder.the owner of sds uses it on his homebuilt airplane with a subaru engine.i call that putting faith in your product.probably %95 of efi system problems come from poor installation.good luck.

Good to know another z owner is getting rid of the stock efi. Its really only going to cause you headaches in the long run when you are looking for high HP. But... if you are computer savy megasquirt will save you a lot of cash (which was very important to me as im still in college). Megasquirt itself has worked perfectly for me, the only problems have come from my wiring and my bad installation of the gm 4 prong hei. To be honest megasquirt has completly exceeded my expectations. But this is not my daily driver and i had a lot of time to research installing megasquirt so like you said time is money and your time is proabbly worth more than mine, just my .02. good luck and keep us updated with the install, hp#'s, 1/4 times, etc.

Blake