HybridZ

Puzzled!!

Guest vanir97

Guest vanir97

I wrote a while back about my 355 idling like it was my wife's WRX. It had that boxer chug-chug-chug sound. Car ran good just idled funny.

SO today I finished wrapping the exhaust from the header collector all the way to the exhaust tips. left the bullet mufflers exposed as I intend to wrap them later.

So I start the car up, and the idle is smooth, no more chug/chug. Also out of the tail pipe is grey smoke like it is burning oil. ****! I think what next. After about 2-3min no more smoke and the car idles as if it were a Rolls Royce, smooth and steady, and when I blip the throttle, it revs smooth. Plugs are clean as they should be.

What gives.

Guest vanir97

Maybe because of the extra heat generated by the wrapping it caused some deposits in the ehaust system to be burned off. there were no leaks being that i have been over that system many, many times. car just seems to run better now that the pipes have been wrapped. also, the car never smoked on start up or driving before the wraps went on. I will just keep my fingers crossed.

well Ive got two guesses,

ONE

the extra heat burned off crud on an oxygen sensor or cleared a partial plugged catalitic converter restriction

two

the wrap sealled of an exhaust leak that was sucking air and making the sensors read faulty info, which would tend to make them tell the cpu to run richer as the data from the exhaust looks way too lean/cool untill you raised the heat and restricted the cool air access to the exhaust flow