HybridZ

Desided on a 7MGTE for my Conquest.

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Ive been wanting to get back into Starquest type cars for awhile now, since i last sold my beautiful black 88 TSi.

Anyways i got myself a 86 (worse year but car was free) Conquest TSi, was gonna put my LS1 in it and have a fun new project.

Thing is i just cant see myself getting real deep into them as i wanna stay just into Z cars.

So i desided ill just build a cheap, fast, fun toy i can drag race every now and then not really put to much into it.

smart choice would be to stay with the 2.6lt 4 banger but you really need to put alot of money in them to make good power out of them.

Not wanting to make this car a show car and etc, i desided ill just do a big budget car and drop a 7MGTE in it.

With just a metal headgasket (milled deck and head) and some arp head studs i wont have to worry about really anything.

best part is ill be using mostly all my parts off my blue Z's L28ET setup for this car.

Bov, FMIC, MSnS, injectors, FPR, fuel pump, turbo, msd, and etc!

so the search is on for a 7MGTE with 5 speed for a good price!

should make for a fun cheap rice box!

mike

Wish I could get my 7M to a state I was happy with. TRD clutch doesn't hold the power, wastegate isn't opening at the right time consistantly, and have ECU tuning issues.

Sometimes it all works right and I loose traction going 45+mph..

Some day it will all come together though. The engine is just insane with the bolt ons I have, I can't imagine a 2jz with similar work done to it.

I think the $900 I spent on a JDM engine was worth it, spent about $250 for a 5 speed tranny, $200 on a drive shaft, $450 on a clutch (and it sucks), mandrel bent 3" exhaust $300. Had to buy new alternator and starter because they weren't included another $200 there. Then you start adding up all of the supporting mods like the brakes upgrade, half shafts, diff, good quality fuel pump.

Keep us updated.

Guest ON3GO

will do.

i already have my hands on a upgraded CT26 for it if need be.

i have the intercooler, bov, MSnS, fuel pump, fuel system pretty much, and whatever else ill need to get the car running.. just no engine or tranny and driveshaft.

i know the 7M will fit in the conquests engine bay, it might be close but it will fit.

i found a blown headgasket 7M in tampa for 350 bucks, comes with 5speed, no driveshaft and no ecu and etc so i think i might get it.

mike

have you reserached the rod knock issue with the 7m? Most of the time its caused by owner neglect and low oil. BUT on supra forums there are many cases where the cars are well taken care of, oil checked religously, and its completely stock, and rod knock develops. For the money, you can get a 1jz for about the same price. My friend has a 1jz in his mk3 and has had no problems with getting parts for it, that seems alot like an internet myth about bad parts availablty, either way, good luck.

Guest 73LT1Z

I have two Supras, unfortunately both are non-turbo. I pulled the 7MGE w/ 5 speed out of the wrecked '91 and was going to put it into the '88 (auto to manual swap), but am debating selling the '91 motor & tranny to buy a V8 since I'm going to pull the motor & tranny out of the '88.

The '91 had 70K miles & the motor ran (I drove it 1/2 mile mostly sideways :) from where the wrecker dropped it to my garage) when I bought it.

You are within pickup range from me if you are interested in just the tranny, let me know & I can snap some pics for you.

EDIT

Forgot I had a pic of it on my Supra's page:

1668435_23_full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

its not going anywhere..let me know. its an extra motor. blown hg, pistons and walls are perfect.. heads fine. just needs a hg some arps and get stuck back together. tranny is low mileage. has a fairly new clutch actually, but im sure you will want something that can hold some power. i was going to build it into a 9:1 motor for my next big thing.. but thats gonna be a long time so.. its taking up space.. come get it.