HybridZ

bleeding brakes

rubin

just wondering what you guys thought about the gravity bleeding option. Ussually when I do a brake job I like to pop the bleeder valve and gravity bleed it a bit. I know some mechanics only bleed with the help of another person pressing then pedal. Personally I dont see why gravity bleeding is any worse, I can do it alone and do it while i do something else.

You can bleed all by yourself and get much better results with a bottle and a vacuum hose. Put a little brake fluid into the bottle. Attach the vacuum hose to the bleeder and stick the other end under the brake fluid level in the bottle. Then open the bleeder get in the car, pump 5 or 6 times all the way to the floor and all the way back up slowly. Get out, tighten bleeder valve, move to the next one. Really easy.

The problem with gravity bleeding is that with the brake fluid moving so slowly the air bubbles might rise as fast as the fluid goes out. I've heard of people using gravity "bleeding" as a way to get fluid into the whole system, but never as a way to really get a good bleed on a brake system.

The problem with gravity bleeding is that with the brake fluid moving so slowly the air bubbles might rise as fast as the fluid goes out. I've heard of people using gravity "bleeding" as a way to get fluid into the whole system' date=' but never as a way to really get a good bleed on a brake system.[/quote']

thats a good point, maybe i should stop my gravitational ways, it seems to work though. brake pedal was soft before and harder after, but i guess you cant be 100% sure

Actually gravity bleeding works very well but it usually takes a few days to do it right so that makes it not an attractive way to do the work. Many people out there forget that they might also need to bleed the Mastercylinder (bench bleed or in the car). So what is the easiest way to bleed brakes and not get your girl friend or wife upset with you because she has to do the peddle thing. I bought something called speedbleeders. I just slightly lossen the one I want to bleed run a tube from the nipple to an old coffee can with some papertowels shoved down in the bottom. I pump the brakes about 10 times and refill the bowl again. These things are so simple and easy that you would think that everyone would be using them especially on new cars. Here is a url if you want to read more or anything and if you have aftermarket brake kits remember that they probably are not the same as the stock ones.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Good luck guys.

Robert