HybridZ

Olderthanme's early 260 worklog(run 56k!!!)

OlderThanMe

ok well the worklog seemed like a good idea so here I go.

you can see the painting of my Z here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=110065

History:

Before I bought the car:

w32851851.jpg

look at the Easter egg under the Z...this photo was taken in September 03

w32851843.jpg

2 of those wires were good as I found out the hard way.

w32851838.jpg

yes that is algae on the covers that are busted(I need some new ones)

w32851830.jpg

those wheels are now up for sale if anyone wants them. pm me if you would like to buy.

w10307587.jpg

towing it home...learned the hard way that brakes don't work after 5 years of sitting

b9176939.jpg

here is a few months after I bought it...not much different except that it runs off of it's own gas tank. lol

11k miles later I started some serious performance work.

here is when my Z was down back in the late fall of 05 when I blew a roll pin on the gear side of the shift rods.

m10787375.jpg

I also took the time while the Z was down to install the new rotors and*EDIT*84-89 yota calipers*not- 79'-85' yota 4x4 calipers. you can see where there is no metal in the wheelwell there. just a hole and then the tar lining on the inside.

m10787585.jpg

there is what I thought was a painted caliper... boy was I wrong. it is now all rusty so I just have to clean it and use my dandy little caliper painting kit from Autozone.

m11861313.jpg

my 15x8 Diamond racing wheels that fit like a charm over the toyota calipers unlike those Eagle wheels

m12058410.jpg

here is the underside if my Z...look at the passenger side...time to fix that. And my brand new front diff mount.

m20823388.jpg

the mock up for my switch panel that will be integrated into my aluminium console.

m24889374.jpg

my new tires are over an inch taller than my old ones

m24889311.jpg

my new power lights attached to the hood with no cutting or welding at all to the hood.

m23866532.jpg

right after christmas...boy did those tires scrape on the stock fenders before I hammered them out like in this picture.

m27126937.jpg

March 2nd was when my coilover stuff came in.

m31568447.jpg

here is a dash that I did for someone else and it is going to be painted black so aluminium finish was not important. I am going to be making a full dash for mine. I can make you one too!!! pm me if you are interested.

m31183379.jpg

this was March 6th. the next day it was in lots of pieces...lots...lol

m32717205.jpg

here it is now. it is going to get black on the bottom half and red on top(soon to do hood and top of front fenders)

A few more later after I upload for a while.

I also took the time while the Z was down to install the new rotors and 79'-85' yota 4x4 calipers. you can see where there is no metal in the wheelwell there. just a hole and then the tar lining on the inside.

I've never heard of Z's having metal in the wheelwell. A few (very few) Z's that I have seen have plastic fender liners.

I need more pics of your rolling paintwork!! lol

Oh yeah, what coilover springs did you buy, and what parts are going along with it? also are those the front or rear springs that are pictured?

My springs are QA1 springs. The rears are 250lb/in and the fronts are 225. they are 10 in long. definitely not a bling coilover setup. I'll post some more pictures later.

I was saying that the part of the passenger side floorboard that is up on the firewall is gone. it is just the lining that is on the inside of the floorboards that is keeping junk out of the passenger's face...

You are make quick progress! Keep it up.

My daily driver has some pretty big holes in the passenger floor board. Some so large you can see ALL the top of the frame rail. I kept a floor mat on that side to keep crap from coming into the passenger compartment.

I was cleaning one day and I pulled the floor mat back as my fiancee came out and she saw the holes. She didn't want to ride in the Z anymore. She eventually got over it. LOL

It is really that I work on it every week and a half but I work one whole day and get a lot done. Today I modified the stock upper spring perches to hold the 2.5in. I.D. springs cetered on the perch.

My stuff is functional withut being bling...black threaded collars, dirty struts, unpainted control arms and it will most likely stay that way. I don't want a car that looks like I have put $20k into it. I am doing this build as cheap as possible. I culd not justify buying $20 top hats just when my sort of ghetto modification of the stock hat will work just as well. When I do Camber plates eventually I'll probably get those techno toy tuning ones and just paint everything black.

I am redoing my stock seat completely. I removed everthhing dow to the basic frame.

It seems like the stock seat frame has a nice dish to it so I want to take advantage of that. I am going to add in some metal sides and weld them to the steelback of the seat. I haven't decided what to do for the seat bottom but I am thinking of putting thick nylon in between both sides of the seat and remove the springs. Then add aluminium sides to keep you from shifting any at all. I will post some pictures on monday of my idea. In a few minutes I will post the picture of the frame that I already uploaded to my other site.

here is the frame of the seat. I am going to make some shoulder wings, cut off those hooks at the bottom of the seat back, and reinforce the seat a little bit. you can see where the sides are but it is about 3-4 inches too wide to give any support so I am going to make support there.

m30272890.bmp

I put these on since my stock horns are not very loud...these have 12 and a 14 in. horns...and are really loud. if you blow it in the garage with the door closed it really hurts. I put the small air compressor on the emissions bracket in the engine bay and ran the hose through a hole in the inner fender

m17335418.jpg

it is fun if I am sitting in the car and some kid says "look at that old car daddy!" and just blow em away...Maybe I'll make a video to show how loud it is...the old horn was not as loud as my exhaust plus it took a few seconds to get to "full" DB sound level...$30 well spent. and it has about 3/4" clearance from my tires.

I stripped the paint off the other side of my roof. now time to do the other "C" pillar...

I may upload pictures tonight of my progress. My Illuminas should get here in the next few days so I can start on reassembly. I now need to get some new balljoints from Dats...umm...Nissan.

I was just thinking...don't you love it when someone says their Dad or Cousin had a 240zx...