HybridZ

This sound like a good deal for a SBC?

my good friend owns a 11 second Talon so quick imports are nothing new to me. Losing money on the street? Ihave lost money on ONE import in 7 years of street racing. A low 10 second VR4 Galant from HELL that looked like crap. The point I was trying to make was comparing a QUICK AWD import to a powerful V8 or "gobs of power" when it only puts down 300hp is apples to oranges. That being said I DO have a comeback to your "steamrollers out back" comment. Have you ever seen a 10.5 car? Neighborhood of 1500hp on 10.5" wide slick and running in the 7's on the 1/4 mile is something even a AWD car cant laugh at. Dont knock rear wheel drive cars, they WILL bite you on the ***, street or track.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright alright, let's keep it civil. I think the "pussy" comments were mostly jokes. There are a lot of guys in the forum that have lower hp V8 cars...but I can't think of any right now :mrgreen: No, seriously, nothing wrong with a relatively stock V8---but I would take the advice and swap in a good cam AFTER you get some heads---that way you'll know what to get that will optimize your hp without riuining streetability. Nothing worse than an overcammed motor (makes less hp than a milder cam sometimes!).

Just read more about cam selection once you have chosen your heads. The Vortecs are a good choice, but aluminum is better...Just my $.02

Davy

The Vortecs are a good choice, but aluminum is better...Just my $.02[DavyZ

How is aluminum better for his build? I don't think there's any way you can justify the higher price and (I'm guessing) higher compression for a 350 that's going to make less than 350hp. Sure, for more power they're better but not for this engine.

How is aluminum better for his build? I don't think there's any way you can justify the higher price and (I'm guessing) higher compression for a 350 that's going to make less than 350hp. Sure, for more power they're better but not for this engine.

Weight. Pick up a pair of L98 aluminum heads. You can get a good rebuilt set for $500. It looks like that engine has flat tops so should be around 10.4:1. For this build they would be great.

I'll just have to find a good deal on a set of heads that'll fit the motor correctly. I don't mind if they're iron, or aluminum. I want to stick with just a stock Chevy head. I guess I'll just pick up whatever I find a good deal on at the time I'm ready to purchase and use those. I would like to get a meatier cam...but I'll definately do what the guy said earlier and get my heads first.

Just get you a set of vortec heads. They are iron but they are dirt cheap and flow BADASS! Only pitfall is you will either have to modify the heads for older carb'd intakes or run a vortec style carb'd intake. I have seen those heads make everything from 175hp in stock applications to over 400 with very little work.

If I could go back and do it again, I would get the Edelbrock AirGap Vortec intake. I got the performer RPM and can't complain but for the money I spent I should have just got the airgap.

Jegs: (the part # is 7516)

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=15941

Zerrari, tell me more about the L98 heads, I have never really heard anything about them. Do they flow as well as the vortecs?

Mycarispurty, Yeah, $400 is a pretty good deal for a solid lower end, not super, but decent, a lower fair price. There are a hundred threads about what heads to use. It sounds like you want a car that's reliable, low maintenance, and has enough scat to smoke em up and have some fun when you want it. Good for you for being realistic and not trying to overbuild. Like DavyZ said, there are several people on the boards like that.

When you do decide to get some nice heads and a cam, which you will, check out the threads posted in by Grumpyvette, I've learned a lot from him.

If I could go back and do it again' date=' I would get the Edelbrock AirGap Vortec intake.

Zerrari, tell me more about the L98 heads, I have never really heard anything about them. Do they flow as well as the vortecs?[/quote']

Thats the exact intake I would recomend. Great intake that is capable of 400hp straight out of the box and can still provde great low end for the street.

L98 heads are good heads but there are more than one story about box stock vortec's outflowing them and making more power. Heres a story with flow numbers http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/41598/index4.html

Quote from Lason: L98 heads are good heads but there are more than one story about box stock vortec's outflowing them and making more power. Heres a story with flow numbers http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/41598/index4.html

No doubt the vortec's flow better but you should be able to achieve 275-325hp with the inexpensive and lightweight L98 heads. I'm a firm believer in using as much aluminium as possible on a V8 when doing a swap into a Z. You can also pick up an aluminum intake that will fit this combination for around $50 if you look around.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Back in the day, '70's, I had acquired a 350 chevy for $50. Had a cracked block. Took it apart and shazaam!, 12.5:1 TRW .060 over pistons, crower .510 lift 248@.050 cam and 882 heads. Well, I junked the block, got another and bored it .060. Smoked everything in town having it topped with a Edelbrock scorpion intake, 750 holley and the 882 casting heads I ported. Those pistons went through 3 blocks. You can rebuild it, just have to change blocks and .040 over blocks are cheap.

Just cause they are iron and "old technology" doesn't mean they won't work just fine. Grumpy jenkins can take a set of old technology cast iron bowtie heads on a 327 and go 9's in a vega. If you remember the vortec's only flow alittle better than 882's.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/41598/index4.html

Edit: Flow numbers don't mean squat in terms of HP your going to get, it depends on combination!

Edit: Flow numbers don't mean squat in terms of HP your going to get, it depends on combination!

While that is true flow WILL hurt your numbers even with the mythilogical "perfect" setup. But we are talking box stock I would be willing to put money saying that motor would make more power with vortecs than with double hump's or some other old skool iron head.

And Zerrari GTO, I agree. The aluminum heads will help with weight on the nose of the Z so it is a double edged sword.

Ahhh the Edelbrock Scorpion intake. Haven't heard that one mentioned in a long time. Was the hot ticket awhile back.

I still do think the Vortecs are probably a better deal than most of the older factory castings though. Aside from the flow numbers, the combustion chamber design is better than the older designs, allowing more compression and timing on the same gas.

The L98 heads don't flow all that well. I have the flow numbers here from a magazine some time ago... Vortec numbers are from the same magazine. They are as follows.

lift/intake/exhaust

.100/56/52

.200/120/104

.300/160/133

.400/186/150

.500/196/170

.600/199/175

As opposed to the Vortec L31 heads.

lift/intake/exhaust

.100/70/49

.200/139/113

.300/190/142

.400/227/159

.500/239/170

.600/241/172

off topic but i must say that there is a reason why the fast drag cars are RWD and not AWD... RWD owns AWD at the drag strip AND at the road course, the ONLY time AWD is better is on non paved surfaces and rain or snow

Getting your eclipse into the 11s - $3000

Knowing you are always going to break halfshafts - PRICELESS

as for the motor.... dont base your decision on what color it is, thats stupid 4th grade crap. look at what it would cost you to have someone do all the work... you would probably end up in the $500 range, and to me its more worth it to KNOW that the motor is good than to buy a gamble. if you have your heart set on a SBC look at the low hp crate motors $1500 will get you a new motor where you can just switch the cam and have some good sound and around 300 hp