HybridZ

painted my fender with rustoleum...

olie05

I finally did it, and I have to say I am pleased with the results.

Without even wetsanding or buffing, I can tell this is going to be an easy way to get some shine on my car :)

It was really scary at first when it hadn't settled, and the paint had all these bubles on it... I thought "what have I done!?" but then After a few hours it started leveling out.

I did the coat way to thick, as in I applied too much. I definitely thined it out enough though. I have the "smoke grey" color, and i think i'm going to go for the "charcoal grey" because this is way too light for my tastes. But at least I know what to do with the next coat!

here are the pics:

rustoleum1_thumb.jpg

rustoleum2_thumb.jpg

rustoleum3_thumb.jpg

rustoleum4_thumb.jpg

did you put that on bare metal? or is that a rough sanded so it had something to adhere too?? doesnt look to bad.. some "bubbling" look to it in the second pic but you say its flattening out and not color sanded yet. Not bad for just rolled on for sure. i havnt read much about the roller thing yet so im searching right after i post this but any info woudl be welcome =0)

and IMHO yes.. go for a darker grey =) i like the original color you have on it now.

finally someone has fallen into the roll on paint crowd with me...looks good. Just your first coat should not cover the color or base metal below it completely. then the second coat should cover any under color. The third should take out any big scratches and from there it is just insurance.

haha, yeah I realised that I put on a way to thick coat for the first coat! I really had no Idea what I was doing. But yes, I figured that out when I did a test spot on my other fender and it came out alot flatter and smoother than anything on the other fender, just by using less paint on the roller. I also did this with a normal foam roller, because i was kinda just testing the waters, but I am definitely going to go for the ultra super high density foam roller for the rest of the car.

Oldarthanme, your advice was what got me started! thanks!

Phantaz, this is after sanding with 320grit sandpaper, on a previously primered fender. I am going to do the rest of the car in charcoal gray.

edit: on second thought, anodized bronze might be closer to I want (current color of the car)

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=18&SBL=1

Jaysz, I am going to do the rest of the car this way! probably will be done sometime in the middle of summer depending on wether i get a job or not (time constraints, not money because this is dirt cheap!)

here's a picture of what I started with.

Picture_076_Medium_.jpg

and

Picture_072_Medium_.jpg

just be sure to tape that sticker to your taillight so it shows up really well. at least you won't use the can for it's other purpose...as a "gunmetal grey high flow muffler that is painted on the inside for CrAzY power!!! and you can gain 35hp just from the gunmetal grey over regular light grey!!!"

and it comes with a clamp so you don't have to deal with that "loud, bright, and dangerous welding!"

I saw a picture of a 30's car over on the moparts website that looked pretty good. Looks like a spray can job but much more even. I had rattle can flat black for a while. It does get old in the summer with heat and this wimpy little Datsun fan...I hope the red will be a little nicer this summer

I personally don't see the reason for doing flat black with a roller. Spraying seems almost easier, since you don't have to think about it as much as with a roller. (in my somewhat limited experience)

I guess it boils down to which do you prefer?

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread I decided update this one.

Lately I switched to "anodized bronze" It seems to match the color of my car pretty closely, and since my local hardware store carries it I won't have a problem tracking it down.

anyway, here are some pics. some are of sanding, some are of paint after the wet sand. Oh, i also want to mention that, for me at least, it was easier to roll on the paint when the roller was almost DRY. yes, this was the easiest way to paint without getting any bubbles. It makes for a very economical painting experience. I am going to put all the fender pictures in a "rustoleum" folder. I think i have more pictures there than i just posted. Check out my gallery!

DSC00814_Medium_.jpg DSC00815_Medium_.jpg DSC00816_Medium_.jpg DSC00817_Medium_.jpg DSC00818_Medium_.jpg

you'll have to change your sig. pic now:icon46:

yeah right! lol, the minute I started rolling that on I couldn't believe it was EXACTLY the same color as the primer i had before. Only difference is it's just a tad glossier. Are you really going to be that picky? ;)