HybridZ

spot welding shaving emblems and everything else

Guest SBC_240z

The piece where you welded over the bumper provision looks good! Did you cut out the old piece or did you weld over the existing piece? If you welded over the existing piece, make sure you seal up both pieced to prevent moisture from getting trapped between the two (I'm sure you already know what that would lead to).

And as sweetleaf suggested, if you're going to be doing alot of work with sheetmetal, invest in some shears or a nibbler or both. I have a cheapo nibbler from harbor freight and it works pretty good. You can get them either electric or pneumatic.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46061

Guest SBC_240z

I welded over the existing piece. But, i remembered to weld that small hole on the inside first so now both are completely wet proof (hopefully).

I used a grinder w/ cutting blade to cut out everything i need, like the piece that I used over the bumper provision. Its slow, but works. I will definately look into shears and a nibbler.

So far, stuff I have gotten at harbor freight has been well worth the money. I bought the angle grinder for $17 and it all ready has about 70-80 full hours of cutting and grinding and is still running like a champ.

Mr. Parks, as far as a bumper goes, I am going to re-cutout sheet metal to form a back covering therefore with no bumper. I don't like the metal front or back bumpers so therefore, i removed them.

Jaime, what gauge steel would be best for my rear bumper cover ? 18 or 16 ?

Guest SBC_240z

hey 240zwannabe, yeah, instead of practicing, i just went for it on my car, i learned much quicker. I had to learn fast if i wanted it to look good, haha.... Thanks for the compliments my friend.

i ran into a bit of a bind now fund wise, so now i have to sell my car for parts. If you need anything guys, shoot me what you need.

p.s. -- i now understand why body shops charge sooooo much to shave different things on a car. w a PITA, haha, great learning experience though.

Too bad you can't complete it. You were headed in the right direction.

Your skills definitely improved quickly.

How long did it take you to do all this?

I posted a thread in Body Kits & Paint about shaving the rear end. Would you all take a look at that - my rear end is partially damaged, and I'm trying to get ideas on how to get it started.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=110719

a freand also told me that my car would be a ----- to weld because the metal on japenese cars is crappier that metal on other cars. he said that the USA and Europe would ship theyre used metals and that japan would recycle them into our cars. is that true???

not trying to hijack the thread or anything but it has something to do with welding on out cars.

Guest 1972_240z

not sure

but welding this crap has been crazy hard....blow through very easily and i am glad i learned on hard stuff meaning when it comes time for easy stuff, i will be a pro (yeah right in my dreams)

thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated....great forum.

• 2 months later...