HybridZ

help :(

Guest dom300zx

Guest dom300zx

hi all im new here

this looks like an awsome site, well ne way i have a 1987 n/a 300zx and i have a huge problem that i cant seem to figure out. my car wont idle at all on cold start up just misfires and stalls unless i keep it taked up at 1000rpm's and then when it does warm up it dosent stall but it has a minor skipping problem and latly when i midly launch it it tends to drop rpms and pick up again like it feels like im shifting gears but im still in 1st??!?!? oh and i am burning oil is there things i shuold check for for that problem?

Hi!

Welcome to Hybridz.

It sounds like this car is new to you. I'd suggest a bunch of things to start with:

1. If you haven't done so, get a shop manual. Haynes is OK, but I really suggest scouring eBay for a factory service manual.

2. Do a compression check and record the numbers for future reference (or so you'll know if there is a problem!).

3. When was the timing belt last done? If you aren't sure, or it's been more than 3 years or 50,000 miles, you should do it. $30 of belt and an afternoon beats an engine swap.

4. While you're doing the compression, change spark plugs, cap and rotor (unless you know they're good or they look good inside). Check your ignition timing after you're done.

5. Replace PCV valve, air filter, and fuel filter. (Basically, do a full tune-up; this probably solves 75% of automotive running problems).

As to your specific problem, I would guess the above steps will help; specific problems may include the CHTS (Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor), which is easy to do when doing a timing belt (but a pain otherwise), the MAF (Mass AirFlow sensor) (but I don't think so), O2 sensor (again, I don't think so).

Also, using a service manual, you can run the codes on the ECU, which is located by the passenger's right knee. I won't type all that out here...get the manual! :)

Check out the FAQ sections on http://www.z31.com (although the forum can be a little unfriendly to newbies) and also http://www.az-zbum.com and good luck!

Wolf

Guest dom300zx

ok thank you very much for that information i will go find a shop manual.

on a closer examination of my engine when its cold and i rev it up i hear a faint rattle which i think might be ceoming from the engine heads ( i pray its not)

carfiche.com has some of the factory service manuals available in pdf format. You can probably use any year of the N/A manuals for a competitive engine diagnosis.

Also, burning oil could be worn rings, or bad valve seals, bad headgasket, or all of the above.