HybridZ

Brake hoses

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I ripped a brake hose when I dropped my suspension this weekend frown.gif Got a rubber replacement and just got in a new set of teflon hoses(They wouldn't sell me just one!)

Why are the teflon hoses not 'dot legal'?

They have stickers on them saying to not use them on public roads...

Is because they're so fragile? smile.gif

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

I might be wrong, but I tink it is because they haven't been certified as DOT legal by the hiway safety administration.... Seems I read something about this somewhere else on the web... maybe at MAFBA.org or Zcar.com! I forget, but I believe that it had to do with safety certification. I have used them since 1992 without fail...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

There's a test where they put a huge weight at the end of the hose and swing it around. Not sure what the specs are on failure mode, but usually, the hoses that aren't certified just haven't been tested but are probably o.k.

I got the Russel hoses (P/N 8655) for the 240Z and they are DOT legal. They have a sleeve of plastic that extends out of the fitting down the hose an inch that is supposedly there to keep the fitting from chaffing on the hose and abraiding (sp?) it. I ordered these from Summit, after calling Russel for the correct part number.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -