HybridZ

Supercharging a l28

Hey everyone.

i'm thinking about supercharging my L28 with an Eaton M62 Super. i was thinking the m62 because of all the cars it's been on (extige) and seems like it works really well. Does anyone have any more information on the m62, like which generation to get or anything? also, i have an l28 block with a higher compression head from a 71 240z, should i find another head, because, if i increase the volume of mixure into my cylinders, wouldn't that already increase the compression?

My other questions are about my rebuild... i'm thinking about getting a crank with a longer throw, boring out my cylinders, replacing the pistons (would forged aluminum hold with the increased power from a supercharged detonation?), and replacing the camshaft (would a .550" Lift, and 304 duration work?)

If y'all know about this stuff, i'd be happy to hear back!

-matteo

extige=exige.

it is my understanding that for forced induction you probably don't want as much duration (well, really its overlap, but with that much duration you're going to have overlap). This is to prevent (especially on supercharged cars) the intake charge from being blown straight out the exhaust, without ever getting to see a spark.

You definitely want lower compression for any forced induction application, but more so on a L-series with its in-eficient 2valve technology. If you are doing a rebuild, go ahead and plan for the supercharger by dialing in a lower CR.

good luck!

there are a couple people that have tried this route, one who almost marketed it as a kit, there is just limited demand for such a kit. If you do a search you will find lots of info about what and how you need to mkae this dream happen. Consider budget. You must have a lot of money if you are considereing fabbing up your own design, manifold, the charger itself, injectors, a rebuild w/new pistons, etc. this is a big project. I would ask yourself, What are my speed goals, how much do i have to spend, do I want to be unique and faster, or just faster, and do I have the means to do this? If you can get through those q's and you still wana do the charger, this forum will support you all the way on you conquest, if not, read up, people have done it all here. Good Luck.

so, i've heard of many people going with smaller heads to increase the compression ratio, are there any other heads that've been swapped which increase performance without the increase of the engine's compression ratio?

I run a n47 head with about a 8:5.1 CR at 15 pounds of boost, front mount IC with no ping. But I have a P90 head that I'm going to put on when I find a bigger turbo. It will lower my CR to about a 7:5.1 but it will flow better (square exhaust ports) and I will be able to flow more air with my bigger turbo.:burnout:

Ken Jones has done a SC pushing 12+ psi. I am also starting a SC project. I purchased a M62 fourth generation (with bypass valve) and plan on a 2:1 pulley ratio. That should provide about 5+ psi. In my high compression L24 it should provide about 35-40% power increase. I'll be using SDS for fuel and ignition needs. As for the type of blower the following is my understanding. A roots style is really good up to about 6 psi before heat related issues become a serious issue. Over 6 psi you should consider a screw-type blower. High compression will limit your forced induction due to heat, octane, etc. You can push those limits using timing retard, etc., but you also lose power in doing so. Lower compression will accept more boost just like turbocharging. Heat is always an issue. Centrifigal chargers have a poor record for longivity and some companies like PSE won't even rebuild them. As for the SC choice I'd stick with a generic model over an early Thunderbird or Mercedes unit as it should be easier to intergrate. I am considering mounting the SC on the passenger side of the block feeding through an IC and into a throttle bodied FI intake. This is all in the idea stage for now.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/mp62.htm