HybridZ

Quick Drive Shaft Question

zdriffter

I Have A 1973 240z L28et, 5 Speed Trans With The 300zx (87-89)r200 Lsd W/ Finned Cover. Why Am I Only Able To Use The Early 240z Drive Shaft The Short One And Not Be Able To Use The Later 240z Drive Shat. Ive Gone Through 2 Drives Shafts And Everytime They Get Harder To Find. How Can I Make The Later 240z Drive Shaft To Fit???? Help Please

I believe you can flip the mustache bar. Put it in so the part that is facing foward now is facing to the rear of the car. This will move the diff further back and should allow you to use a longer drive shaft.

I believe you can flip the mustache bar. Put it in so the part that is facing foward now is facing to the rear of the car. This will move the diff further back and should allow you to use a longer drive shaft.

I think this suggestion is asking for other troubles to surface! Dans suggestion is a good one. I did a similar deal with a driveline outfit...I provided the shop with my existing tranny side and differential side yoke/flange assemblies and they built a completely new drive shaft. Stronger tube, better balanced, and beefier and greasable U-joints....and they even applied a nice paint job and it is a perfect fit. Total cost was around $400.00

im already using 280z mustache bar, and the rear transverse link the curved one.... i shaved off some of the fins from the cover. now what if i was to change the cover to a regular r200 diff non finned, will that make the diff move backwards more???? i been told that the reason why i have to use the early 240z short drive shaft is beacuse im using the finned cover and i should swap the cover with a non finned cover from a regular r200. i really want to use the longer drive shaft they are easier to come by vs the short one. by the way thanks for the info u guys been giving me.