HybridZ

Stumped... oil coming from exhaust ports ?

Ok guys... This is a question on a Nissan Z (2.2 liter) engine from a truck..

I have been working on this truck to get the carb setup right.....after dumping it in the trash and putting on a new one, I have a problem...

When the truck is running, there is oil seeping from the # 3 & 4 exhaust ports, and a little from # 2 and truck is smoking like a freight train when I hit the gas. It has a slight miss, but only under load it seems to be missing on one cylinder.

It does not do it immediately after starting, I have to give a minute or so before it starts.

I've checked the PCV, its fine, it will still smoke with the line disconnected..

Is there a possibility that its a head gasket or head problem ??? I can't imagine three pistons all of a sudden breaking rings....

It could also be attributed to the oil drain passages being restricted. Excess oil in the valvetrain area getting sucked past worn valve guides. If you're seeping oil at the exhaust manifold it can't be good no matter the reason. If it were a turbo I'd think the seals in the turbo were shot and oil was being forced into the intake. On that note, oil could be finding it's way into the intake through the PCV system or it could be tranny fluid being sucked past a bad modulator valve if the truck is an automatic.

• 1 month later...

Well, it wasn't the head... Valves were a little tight but we lapped them back in and it is still doing it when we put it back together.

Compression test was fine about 130 on all cylinders.

Do you think the oil rings may be stuck ??