HybridZ

Headlight-On warning buzzer

Anybody know of a gizmo you can hook up to 280Z that will buzz (or ding) if you forget to turn off the lights? Either a little box or a scematic would be fine for me- I can make up my own PCBs.

eBay has some kits for older muscle cars, would those work? I don't know what is in those kits.

thx

I don't see why it wouldn't either. I just have no idea what they are or how they hook in.Personally, If it buzzes as soon as you turn off the ignition, I'd be happy. I prefer to turning off the lights before opening the door.

thx

"Any" chevy dealer, or just ones that are friendly to people with older cars. I've seen some units on eBay that I think are the same thing, but I can't tell from the dinky picure you see. They were from $10 to $30.

thx, that looks great

In the later 280's there's a box in the back above the passenger side strut that contains a very small lady who is hell bent in notifying you whenever something is wrong with the car.

I have found several threads about this on zcar and I'm going to try and get some time in the junkyard tomorrow in an attempt to get one for my 240z, which does not have a lady.

if you go to the junkyard and find a nice lady who isn't too beat up, you can wire the black-red to ground out when switched... then wire red to key-in, black to ground, and black white, and black to speaker. I think brn might need to be hot though, i wont know until I find a nice box. a look at the wiring schematic tells me that green from lady's box means lights out.

if you get the wrong message, keep grounding the rest of the pigtail out until you squeeze that lady into saying what you want.

You must be talking about the ZXs, which have a talking thing instead of a buzzer or dinger. IMO, those don't belong on an S30 car. Even a dinger seems wrong IMO.

I got a buzzer thing from NAPA. It's just a 12V buzzer, like you can buy from Radio Shack, with alligator clips on the ends of the wires. You're supposed to clip it into your fusebox, but on a 280Z the light fuses are all hot all the time, and so are many other fuses, so you will have to hook it into the headlight switch connetor & ignition switch someplace.

thx

• 1 year later...

I actually got my buzzer (more like a screamer) installed in my car last August. I also put in a new pair of door switches. The buzzer goes from the door switch wire (blk) to a wire (GW) that comes off the headlamp switch that powers the marker/gauge lights. The only problem is that when you turn on the dome light, the buzzer goes off.