HybridZ

Running lean... again.

Guest Cronic

Guest Cronic

I've run into this issue again - similar to one I had a year or so back.

My car is running stupid lean when under load. If I start the car up on my driveway, rev it up, it's happy. But the second I back the car out and start to go - instant lean condition. The car pops and backfires if I push the gas down. I cannot even get into boost. The last time the issue was resolved when I changed out the MAF, but I cannot see how this one has gone bad so soon? If anyone has an idea please help!

280zx turbo

Guest Cronic

How do I check that? the ignition timing is all fubar... I don't really know how to explain this but I'll try.

I took the car to a shop who set the timing along with changing out the front engine cover. When I got the car back it ran like ****. It was set by them at 10 degrees timing with the distributor all the way advanced and they said this was normal stock setting for ignition timing. I was a little confused and I think this is wrong as I've read stock timing should be 24 degrees. So I notched the dizzy to this timing, and it ran great for a while, but now all the sudden it's running lean.

They have the car again, and they say everything mechanical is setup perfect. Ignition, cam, and crank timing. They do not know why the timing would be set at 10 degrees full advance. They say that the ECU could be causing the trouble and that I should try a new one. Of course they could provide me with a new one for about 250 dollars. :roll:

So from here I just dont know what to do about it... im really upset, I love this car and I'm so frustrated with everything that I'm about ready to give up on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cronic

I brought the car back to them because of some warranty work they were supposed to do, and noted some oddities about the timing. Well aparently the trigger wheel was bent inside the dizzy so I had to get a new one. I bought the new dizzy for 250 bucks from Discount Auto, and the car still wont run. I'm at a loss with it, and Im about to scrap the whole thing.