HybridZ

Guest chevsun

Guest chevsun

Hi All.

I'll give you an introduction to my toy. I have a 73-240,Radar Blue/W Red grill and taillight bezles, 8-pt cage that is Prowler Yellow, fuel cell, toyota brake upgrade, alum radiator, elect fan, 355 4-bolt 9:5:1, 650 performer carb/intake, Iron double hump 2.02 heads, comp cams 270H cam w/1.52 roller rockers, electronic ign., elect fuel pump, dual 2 1/4 Hooker Blockhuggers, Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers, Borla tips.(any HP guesses? I have no track or dyno close) T-5 trans, 200mm 3:90 open rear.

The car has been on the road for a year and I love it. It was built with the JTR bible. A must in my humble opinion.

To those with a project in the works. Dont give up. It took me three years to finally finish mine and it was worth it. It turns heads and raises curiosity everywhere I go. I have a question I hope someone can give some input on.

I did the bumpsteer mod that JTR laid out on the crossmember and now I have a tendancy to wander when going straight but am rock solid in corners. I run 1/8 toe in and 195 s rated tires, the car has not been lowered due to oil pan concerns. should I go back to the stock crossmember? Also would an air dam be worth installing? Any style suggestions?

This is a very informative site thanks and I will try to help where I feel I can.

Always a motor head

Steve

Hi Steve,

You are probably running around 300HP-350HP.

I have not looked into any bumpstear mods yet on mine, though it's lowered 1 1/2" but i have not had any weardness with my stearing.

An airdam is worth installing. It will make your car more stable in higher speeds as well as the "coolness" factor.

Be sure to get the rubber and not fiberglass!

One tire stop in a parking lot and the fiberglass airdam is toast.

BRE makes good ones.

Not sure the style I have but you can look at pics of my car on the link below.

Well Welcome Aboard Steve.

Dave Booth

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

Welcome, Steve! You will like this forum immensely and find it very useful. Glad to see you have finished your project, or are 95% finished anyway.

I echo Dave's sentiments about the airdam--don't get a fiberglass one unless you are VERY careful parking the car. I find myself always parking the Z's fragile snout too close to everything, so my car is not lowered right now either, but I have a urethane airdam anyway. Maybe someone else will chime in regarding your bumpsteer question. Cheers! smile.gif

David

I'd recommend setting the toe at zero. I think your wonder problem will go away. Also wou;dn't hurt to put a wider foot print under the front.

WELCOME To HYBRIDZ!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest chevsun

Thanks for the input guys. I'm pulling the motor today anyway so I think I'm going to put the original crossmember back in and take the advise on 0 toe in then see what happens in the spring. Thanks for the advise on the air dam also. I've read of the BRE air dams where could a fellow look at some on the web or is there a book to order? I was considering one from Motorsport but now I see the wisdom in avoiding fiberglass. Thanks for the feedback.

always a motorhead

Steve

Hey many kudo's on building your z and not being afraid to ask questions as far as the bump steer mod. one thing I learned from modified cars "make only one change at a time " Meaning if you change your crossmember don't change the alignment if you do you won't know what fixed the problem.

Hrm, interesting about the bumpsteer mod. I'm about to make that one myself on a spare crossmember but now I'm not so sure. (sigh) Anyone else done this?

As for the spoilers, I bought a NICE one from MSA in Urethane. It came from Xenon so you might want to hunt them down and see if MSA marked it up much, my experience is that they do a good bit on other things (weatherstripping!).

As for fiberglass over urethane... My neighbor is a bodyman and after he saw my spoiler advised me that 'glass was better. Urethane cannot be repaired like 'glass can and while it's flexible on curbs the paint frequently isn't - even with flex additive. Keep that in mind when making your decision and having it painted, flex additive is a MUST with a urethane bumper!

If anyone is locel to VA and looking for a Urethane spoiler, I'd sell this one for a reasonable price close to what MSA sells theirs. I've already taken the hit on shipping and it's in 100% perfect shape. Can send pics.

Guest chevsun

Hi all

I live in northern vermont. Crooked bad roads and lots of moose. I got the motor and trans out of the Z today and installed a writable drive and usb ports on the computer now if I can break down and buy a digital camera I can post some pics. I need to clean up the engine bay some, fix some oil leaks, have the driveshaft balanced to hopefully cure a high speed vibration, and paint everything so it is all nice and pretty again. I use my Z daily in the summer so it gets pretty dirty. I am going to install the stock crossmember but leave the toe alone for now as someone advised so I can track my solutions. I just wish the snow would go away so I would know for sure. (5 inches today) Fortunatly I have a heated garage.

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,

About the urethane parts, I have a urethane air dam on my 72. It was my daily driver for years. I used urethane paint without primer on the well cleaned urethane part and it was on there for five or six years with out chipping or pealing. No flex additive. The paint was emeron and the local paint rep suggested this method. Mark

As for the weatherstripping - do a search here. Lot's of info on it, I think the company mine came from was called Precision and it was bought from MSA. The Nissan factory stuff is MUCH better but also costs quite a bit.

Imron is nasty paint, supposed to be used on planes I think but used to get put on cars if memory serves me. That stuff is DEADLY so many painters aren't thrilled with it. As you've seen it sticks like mad though. I'm not sure that would work as well with other paints. Even when the bumper flexed on parking curbs the paint hung in there? That's pretty amazing!