HybridZ

Help ! NEED ARACK/PINION STEERING UNIT FOR AN 81 280ZX

You will need the rack and the companion crossmember. In other words if you get a manual rack you have to get the crossmember for the manual rack. if you get the power rack you have to get the crossmember for the power rack. The crossmembers are NOT the same for different type of steering systems, just beware. Don't know why Nissan would want to do that. I have a power rack and the mating crossmember. If you want them let me know.

GL

My car started with the recirculating ball steering. I then removed that for the power rack & pinion. With the V8 swap, I was running the non-power rack & pinion. I went ahead each time and got that steering's cross-member. Be sure to get that b/c the mounting points are different. Looks like you don't have to go forth with changing out your steering, but I will say it is not that hard of a job.

As a last resort, you could just buy my car, as it has no steering box to hassle with, and the manual steering is lighter than the power R&P :)