HybridZ

302 Ford Questions from new guy

I want to swap a 302 into my newly aquired '72 240Z. I did a seach and couldn't come up with any header recommendations.I think tight tuck street rod shorties might work but is there an off the shelf set of long tubes which might fit? I have a 302 powered '58 Morris Minor and a 351W in my '62 Falcon so the 240Z is going to get some extra parts from both.

G'day mate WELCOME TO HYBRID Z!

I personally dont know the answer to this question but this swap has been done many times on site and plenty of people should know the answer to your question. The guy that i think would know the answer to your question is blueovalz, he is very experianced and knows what his talking about

I hope that others will chime in here as there are several different means of tackling the header/mounting/steering rod issue on the SBF swap, and one person's idea (mine in particular because I built my own headers) may not be the best. I've not found any long-tube headers that will work, plain and simple. They are either too tall (will drag the ground), or just won't fit the narrow confines once past the block. Block-huggers and shorties are the best option from what I've see, but even some of these may cause issues with the steering rod.

Thanks for the replies. My Morris has some Ford Motorsports shorty headers with 1 5/8" primaries. They had to be modified to fit but look like they might work on the 240. If the steering shaft hits the header that is fixed by cutting the shaft and adding a 5/8" u joint with a 5/8" heim joint for support.At least that is the info I found on previous posts.

I'll post my u joint vs cv joint half shaft questions on the driveline forum.E Bay supplied me with a good 4.11 R200 which should hold up to the 302. The stock u joint axles I'm not sure of.