HybridZ

Feed and Return Line-Sticky?

Would it be possible for someone to make a sticky about the fittings on the turbo and such? Its annoying having to create a thread to ask such a simple question, and I'm sure it gets annoying having to hear these questions that everybody else already knows the answers too.

Could someone also go into minor detail about designing a turbo feed line and return line? Like best material to use to make it, the fittings involved, best way to route it and such.

Sorry about that, I'm talking about a stock L28 with a stock garret t3. I'm trying to make a new feed line and return line in the next few days, and am trying to find out the best way to do it. Like what is the best metal line to use?(will aluminum work?) Also what fittings to use, should I stick with the stock banjo bolt, or should I use something diffrent, ect.

If it was good enough for nissan...it should be good enough for a "stock" t3, right? Unless you are making custom manifolding and using a remote wastegate turbo or a different size that wouldn't work with the "stock" turbo lines, your best bet would be to just do it the way nissan did it on the l28et, and the easiest way would be just to use the nissan parts from an l28et. Now, if the parts you are using are "stock" from something BESIDES an l28et, you no longer have a "stock" setup, and are looking at custom fabrication.

I don't mean to come off as rude or anything, but creating custom setups using "factory" parts (parts that were fitted to something by the manufacturer, but not the car you intend to use them on) is different than using "stock" parts (parts that were originally fitted to the vehicle you are using them on), so maybe it would be easier to help you if we could see pictures of what you are doing, or at least list what vehicle these parts came from to give us an idea what you are working with. I surmise from this and other posts of yours I've seen that you are using l28et stuff to turbocharge an n/a l28e? As far as finding out stuff everybody already knows, I've found the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell to be very approachable and informative as far as basic turbo system design is concerned, and it's also available at most big chain booksellers.

Well, I still don't know what vehicle your turbo was stock on, which makes it difficult to know exactly which turbo you might have (hence difficulty in identifying your mystery threads). Around here, we have a place that will make custom hoses with custom threaded ends for super cheap called amazon hose, you might have something like that near you..

I tried to do a http://www.whitepages.com search in your city for a place that does custom hose, but couldn't really find one. As for what type of fitting you need, my buddy with the (dynod) 329hp to the wheels saturn twin cam is just using a 90 degree -an fitting to a braided hose, but if you have or have access to the hard lines that came on the 280zx turbo, that's going to be the easiest/least fabrication to use. If you need to figure out what thread pitch you have on the turbo bearing, just take the turbo into any advance auto parts (you should have them there, they're all over the country), and run the thread gauge they have behind the parts counter through it. The turbo I have is an externally wastegated t04, so I'm not sure taking mine somewhere to be spec'd out would be much help to you.

For feed line, check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4-TURBO-OIL-LINE-FEED-KIT-TURBO-OIL-INLET-FEED-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ210000248539QQrdZ1

For drain line, get something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4-TURBO-OIL-LINE-RETURN-KIT-OIL-DRAIN-10AN-FITTING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8065778628QQrdZ1

I think I may run a stainless braided line from a 90 degree elbow. I know the size and pitch of the bolt now. Found out at advance auto parts. I've been having an interesting time finding alot of these pieces though. Someone said I could get braided stainless lines at a Big Rig Diesel shop, because they usually have them and it will be cheaper this way(hes using the same thing on his turbo honda) And I tried getting an 1/8 male NPT fitting, but cannot find it at home depot, because they don't stock anything that small. And they also don't stock anything in metric. Home Depot is sounding pretty stupid now.

Check out applied industrial- I've had good luck with odd ball stuff there. There's a store not too far from you.

look for fittings here, find out if they have whaty you need

http://www.applied.com/catalog/ma/catalog.do?e=2&c=899

near you at:

Richmond Location # 0275 2263 Dabney Rd Richmond, VA 23230-3343 PH: (804) 727-4200 FAX: (804) 727-4201 Email: sc0275@applied.com

Also if you aren't too concerned about the pretty anodized colors, I'm pretty sure Napa carries the -an fittings in regular metal color. When I worked at Advance Auto Parts, we had a russell catalog, and were able to order all that stuff too, so if you really can't find it anywhere, you could have them do it. Jegs has the cheapest price for it online that I found when I was doing my fuel stuff. You can get the fittings, and then the hose comes in pre-cut sections I think.