HybridZ

Dayton GTO wires - power rating?

Looking to buy a GTO replica in the near (hopefully) future with a small block V8. Most have Dayton wire wheels but I'm wondering if anyone knows the power rating of this type of wire?

I know that the AC/Shelby cobras ditched wires in favour of Halibrands because they were getting twisted way out of shape and just couldn't handle the power.

Couldn't see any rating on the Dayton site - any ideas?

• 2 months later...
Looking to buy a GTO replica in the near (hopefully) future with a small block V8. Most have Dayton wire wheels but I'm wondering if anyone knows the power rating of this type of wire?

I know that the AC/Shelby cobras ditched wires in favour of Halibrands because they were getting twisted way out of shape and just couldn't handle the power.

Couldn't see any rating on the Dayton site - any ideas?

Hi smash,

Did anyone answer your querie? I want to know this too. It would be lousy to spend $2K+ on wire wheels only to twist them apart.

Mike

Friend of mine raced his 289 Cobra with wire wheels without any problems.

Engine was set up with webbers. Must have had about 350HP I would guess.

Unless you are planning burnouts at the dragstrip I think you will be OK.

Call Dayton.

Sorry, I don't know the answer on the HP rating of Dayton wire wheels but I have had their wire wheels on my GTO for over five years now and never had a problem. I have a 327 SBC that puts out around 400 HP with a Camaro WC T-5 and 3.70 LSD. I do love to do smoky burnouts on occasion. The wheels are 72 stainless steel spoke wheels with real knock-offs.

236622_7_full.jpg

Most old road race cars got rid of wire wheels because of their weight and maintenance - not because they failed. You were always tightening the spokes and trying to keep the rim straight. Dayton’s do not require such "tuning" to be done.

You are right that some wire wheels had problems handling excessive torque because of their drive method. These were probably spline driven on the cars output shaft. Splines on the outside of the shaft and matching splines on the inside of the hub. To solve this problem, Dayton uses a very large diameter "spline" on the back of the hub matched to a drive hub on the car. This allows the wheel to handle significantly more torque but whatever you do, do NOT let them get loose! It will cause a major problem.

Hiya Speedracer!

Most wheel makers are going to tell you they don't want you to race with their wheels.. even makers of a lot of popular "race" wheels lol

:) I have to admit the prospect of wheel failure scares the heck out of me - So far they have held up well, though a while back a last second lane change at over 100 (due to an idiot changing lanes in front of me) really felt like there was too much flex. I'm sure some of that was the front framerails flexing, but it did make me think maybe for a track event that either triple laced or alumiinum wheels would be a smart move. I see vintage racecars at the track on wire wheels all the time. All you can do is try to do a proper "pre-flight" inspection regularly on them. They won't usually fail all at once. If they are leaking down or squeaking, replace them or send them to Dayton to be restored. Not worth risking losing your car and life holding off fixing something like that.

Well maintained wires are strong enough to put up with 5000 pound, bouncing lowriders .. as long as you maintain them and watch for signs of damage I don't see them coming apart without warning in a 2200-3000lb zcar with just a couple hundred horsepower :)

Chelle

Hi Mike - sorry, no is the quick answer! (but then I'm no closer to getting a GTO rep either as the cob's still up for sale, lol!)

I bought mine with problems. The seller lied about everything. The wheels are actually a small part of the whole process with this one.

Friend of mine raced his 289 Cobra with wire wheels without any problems.

Engine was set up with webbers. Must have had about 350HP I would guess.

Unless you are planning burnouts at the dragstrip I think you will be OK.

Call Dayton.

Thanks srgunz. I hear Daytons are the best... but they are quite proud of their wheels... $$$. I may opt for those anyway if I can find them discounted.

Sorry' date=' I don't know the answer on the HP rating of Dayton wire wheels but I have had their wire wheels on my GTO for over five years now and never had a problem. I have a 327 SBC that puts out around 400 HP with a Camaro WC T-5 and 3.70 LSD. I do love to do smoky burnouts on occasion. The wheels are 72 stainless steel spoke wheels with rear knock-offs.

Most old road race cars got rid of wire wheels because of their weight and maintenance - not because they failed. You were always tightening the spokes and trying to keep the rim straight. Dayton’s do not require such "tuning" to be done.

You are right that some wire wheels had problems handling excessive torque because of their drive method. These were probably spline driven on the cars output shaft. Splines on the outside of the shaft and matching splines on the inside of the hub. To solve this problem, Dayton uses a very large diameter "spline" on the back of the hub matched to a drive hub on the car. This allows the wheel to handle significantly more torque but whatever you do, do NOT let them get loose! It will cause a major problem.[/quote']

Thanks SpeedRacer. This is all good advice. I'll look for a company that discounts special order Dayton wheels!! What size and offset are yours? Thay look fantastic!!

Seems like if you have enough money for wire wheels' date=' you have enough for a second set of track tires mounted on lightweight performance wheels anyway.

It is nice to have a dedicated set of track tire/wheels to get the more agressive tire compounds.[/quote']

Thanks for your thoughts, Pop N Wood. Yeah... dedicated wheels/tires would be great. I'm broke at the moment though. I have at least $8K in house mods to make. I take care of an elderly parent and these are necessary for her safety and comfort. The car is on hold for awhile.

Regarding "track" wheels, I can't really push this car hard until I reinforce the frame, which is all stock. I'm afraid I'll turn it into a pretzel:eek2: And the wire wheels... I can't sink $2.5K into new Daytons, but eventually will try to find them for $1.5K or used... though I'm extremely gun-shy these days with anything used... I seem to get $crewed every time:( I did find a dealer a while back who "hinted" that he can come close to my $1.5K price limit. Some day...:rolleyes: