HybridZ

MIG welder question

was up guys,

My car is in need of some minor rust repair soo I was thinking about pick up a mig welder. I found a craftsman thats 80amps and is gasless. Would this be good enough for fix the dog legs, and floor pan? I'm sure it is but just wanted to verify with you guys.

Any tips would help.

Later,

Allen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest d3adp00l

Gasless fluxcore welders leave an ugly weld which would require a lot more work to cleanup and correct the shape. Since it has a lot of foreign material in the welding area it tends to leave impurities and holes in the weld. Most wirefeed arc welders (which is truly what a gasless is) has a convertion kit to make it a "mig" welder. The right gas to use would be better explained at a welding supply store. To explain the gases in a simple way would be to say that its different gases in different percentages (25% carbon dioxide 75% argon) vs (100% carbon dioxide). Important note: don't use the oxy/acetyln gas for mig gas, Hehe you wouldn't like the result.

If you want effective welds and are not worried about pretty welds, than the flux core wire will be fine. BUT the problem most guys complain about with the cheaper craftsman welders is they only have 3 or 4 heat settings. They are difficult to get set right for welding sheet metal. You will spend all of your time cursing as you either burn holes in the metal or get cold welds. A better quality machine will make you feel like Jessie James in no time.