HybridZ

I need information on the VQ30DET

Guest tai_180sx

Guest tai_180sx

i have a complete VQ30DET motor and manual gearbox going in my 180sx and twin turboing it with 2 Garret GT35 550HP turbo's.

i just want to get as much information on the VQ as possible.

things like what the internals are like, how much power they will handle with a stock bottom end, can you use VG30DETT forged pistons in a VQ30DET? is it worth while uprgading to stronger rods or are the rods in the vq already forged and strong enough.

i also have a full 100HP nitrous setup, basically this motor is replacing my sr20det that i have been modifying for a long time, and i really want to know what the differences are.

i'm going from a fully built sr20det with forged pistons, eagle rods, forged/nitrided and cryogenically treated crank, hks cams, heavy duty valve springs, rocker arm stopper and a fully ported and polished head with oversize valves. it ran one single GT35 turbo.

now i am going to the VQ30 and i really want to know what the differences are..

i've heard people say they can pull 500 to 800 odd HP at the wheels on a stock bottom end in these engines???

i want to get as much info as possible and pics of as many VQ's as i can.

thanks

tai

Lets put it this way. I chose a VG30DET over a VQ for my project because of doubts over the VQ's durability and reliability when pushing decent power. There are big power turbo VQ's but it appears that they have been heavily and expensively modified to stay in one piece.

Its very hard to get solid reliable info on the VQ, plenty of the usual internet rumour type 'my mate says' stuff. Good luck.

Guest tai_180sx

yeah thanks mate, i figured there wouldn't be much infor or help on these motors. i'll just make huge power and see if it holds together.

what sort of turbo's would be reccomended on vg'v/vq's to make up around the 800HP mark. i have twin GT35 turbo's with .63 exhuast housings, but i think they'll be too big and wont boost till like 5000rpm.

Let us know how it does hold together, you are going for power beyond my knowledge so I'd be guessing. VG30DETT's with GT28RS type turbos can go over 500hp ATW, mines going to have a single GT35R 1.06 a/r turbine and should do similar.

Guest tai_180sx

yeah i'm thinking that i'm gonna try and get 2 GT3040's. that would still easily make the power and will also come on boost quicker.

the other option is that i can keep my turbo and just put a bigger exhuast housing on it. though the GT35 is only rated at about 600HP, so it'll struggle to make the power i want on its own.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest zchris

The vq30DET is kind of a waste of time. The VQ35 has got a beefier block, pistons and both Eagle and Carrillos are readily available. Core motors are around 500. or less. And you are starting with a larger engine so for the same HP will be less stressed. You will need to have the block sleeved with Darton sleeves to keep from splitting a cylinder sleeve. But it is a nice lightweight engine with great potential.