HybridZ

square footage of our engine bay

JaysZ

Once you painted the bay with RB, there is a time limit within which you can paint over it(with either another coat of RB or regular paint) as long as the first coat has "dried". If you waited pass that time limit, the paint surface of RB becomes too hard and slick and you need to scuff the surface for additional coats. The thermal limit of RB is said to be 150*C or 300*F IIRC. The engine bay shouldn't be that hot at all. They recommend 2 coats and their square footage is calculated based on that as well, if they say 1 quart is good for 50sq ft. they mean 2 coats on 50sq ft.

My project Z car is painted head to tail with RB, I tried to scratch the paint off with my fingernail and it is impossible to do, no even a mark. If you let RB dry on your skin, it is hard to come off. I had a speck of RB on the tip of my index finger and it stayed there for 3 days. If it got on some other places where skin is not often streched or exercised, it will prolly stick for weeks.

thanks for the info, looks like i'll have to finish some welding before i can do the RB then. i want to paint it black using a can of spray paint or something. i'm almost done shaving my engine bay, now all i need is a welder to patch it up =)

10pnhah.gif

10pnhh0.gif

its like por 15 but cheaper and is only a 1 stage process which helps lower the cost further. its also UV resistant right off the bat. it does not require a top coat like por15 if it will be exposed to sunlight. the only "downside" is that there are just 2 colors available but this stuff will take well to just about any kind of paint. http://www.rustbullet.com for their site.

RB also boasts better abraision resistance, you can see a bunch of comparision experiment videos on their site.

RB and POR15 are both moisture cured(you can paint over fine rust). But RB does not require extensive surface prep as long as surface is free of oil. RB is UV resistant, you can primer your car with RB and park it/drive it as is. It does not require special top coat like POR15; you can put any top coat on RB as long as you follow their instructions.