HybridZ

Roof scoop vs. Cabin fumes

Hey... I made a dumb mistake... I added a crappy resonator tip to my Z car... I did not weld it on... It leaked exhaust fumes under the roll pan...

To make matters worse.. I drove it on track an entire weekend wondering why I was making so many errors after 20 minutes in the car...I would get carsick in someone elses car after I had driven my own...

The engine is in great tune... It did not smell bad at all.. but welding the tip on and sealing it completely definitely fixed my CO problem..

That's something to think about, I've got an old header that looks like an MSA 6-1, and then it bolts to a collector that is welded to a 21" thrush glassppack, which brings that section of the exhaust back to just before the diff nose. From there i've got the rest of the "glassback" (that was a little joke...) exhaust clamped on to the exit of the thrush, and it is one long piece welded together that angles the muffler towards the passenger side, drift style, with the muffler extending about six inches out from the back of the car at an angle. I'm pretty sure the exhaust isn't coming in from the muffler so much as it might be from that clamped portion...maybe i should get in there and weld that together too...

As a general update on the progress, I took my alternator in to get it tested, and it turns out it was only putting out 10v, so I was able to exchange it under warranty. I haven't had occasion to put it back on and check the on-car wiring, but I'm off all weekend, and I'm planning to really get into it at that time. Also, I've been eyeing a replacement exhaust manifold stud that I sell here at the Saturn dealership. It's actual purpose is a motormount stud, but the threads appear to be the right pitch, and I know for sure they are metric. The reason I want to use these is because they've got a little square machined into them so you can tighten them with a wrench without a nut on them. It's part number:11518885, and most Saturn dealers should stock a good amount since they always change them with the top motor mount on the early S cars. I might try them out this weekend as well, and see if they are too long, or whatever.