HybridZ

i was looking at that thread a while ago about the oldschool wheels, and i thought those sakura wheels were pretty sweet...

0403_001.jpg

problem is they're rare

and we all know rare= expensive...

so i had this idea...

get autocad [working on that right now]

learn it

design the "sakura" centers

get them cut in a cnc machine [my buddy is supposed to be getting one.. we'll see if he does or not] he said he'd do stuff for pretty cheap for me

get some 2 piece wheel shells with a nice deep lip...15x7...15x8...15x10 whateva

unbolt the centers

bolt in the sakura centers

get them balanced

have cool unique wheels

this is all hypothetical at the moment, kinda thinking out loud....any reason why it wouldn't work?

if it doesn't work out i'll just get some rewinds, or some mesh wheels...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm learning autocad right now, and I'll tell you, it's a pretty deep program. There's probably 3 different ways of doing the same thing. Once you spend some time on it though, you learn your way through. Your project sounds pretty interesting, but learning autocad will certainly be the longest part of it.

rubin,

i don't have very many pics, i'll send you all i have though, and zero dimensions...

i need to get the outer rim shells first and design the centers around them.

so does anybody know where to get the outer piece of two piece rims in custom sizes?

i might be needing your help in the future if i can't get good enough at autocad to design them.

i'm not familiar with the capabilites of cnc machines just yet, but it should be possible to make them rounded on top instead of just flat right?

i'm getting autocad 2007 from my friend tomorrow, i'll play around with it, i've got tons of free time to start learning it... are there any reccomended books, or good walkthroughs or websites to teach autocad?

edit: rubin, thats awesome! so quick!

once i find the correct outer rims, we'll work togother to make a final version! thanks

so what i need from you guys is a place to buy the outer rim piece. i think i'll have to buy new, it'd be hard to find something in the correct size and b/s etc, and still be in good shape right? i'll look around on ebay nonetheless

and everybody send me any pictures you have of these wheels please.

Guest Speedyblue

Could you buy one centre piece and use it as a base for the one you are designing? Do different brands have different set-ups? I'd imagine they would.

AE86Sakuras_thumb.jpg

Guest Speedyblue

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very clearly. Buy a centre from a three piece wheel, then copy your outer bit so it is exactly the same as the one you bought. Then you can use the outer rim bit of the same brand.

lunar240z, i am a self taught cadsman, since autocad R14. there are a few books out there that are helpful and some that are war and peace for autocad. you might try a jr college to find some small autocad books or autocad for dummies. i have looked through it a few times and will get you started. i just started playing with the program and made a ton of mistakes. i am curently a structural engineer and recieve many calls from architects and designers on how to do things in cad. if you run into a problem, pm me and i will walk you through it. you can always undo!!

jim

not sure yet, we can probably base that off of a stock 240z wheel. [i'll be gone to yosemite for a few days, but i'll start taking measurements after i get back]

i was looking on ebay, and there are a lot of used centerlines in 15"x 7 or 8. [pretty cheap too :) ]

the thing is, they're riveted together, should i be able to cut the rivets to take them apart?

couple more examples... not finished yet

I tried to get different colours, like gold centers, black bolts and polished shell but when i converted it to jpeg it didnt work. maybe ill fix it later

ill make a couple different styles with slight alterations

ex.jpg

ex21.jpg

bolt pattern is 4x114.3 right? and i made the center hole 60mm, which looked about right

ps. the rim is 15x10 with the center cap at about 13.4"

Guest JAMIE T

That's sick! Great Job. I have AutoCAD 2002 and Solidworks but haven't had the time lately use either. I'm just learning and would in no way be able to do what you just posted. Awesome.

ok did some more work

1st version: pattern fully meshed against outer ring up to wheel shell. and outer ring and hub mating surface have rounded edges

2nd: outer ring and hub surface are chamfered and pattern is meshed into the chamfer

3rd. hard corners and pattern meshed up against the ring

also I changed the offset so you could see the pattern better. plus it was kind unrealistic

ex31.jpg

ex41.jpg

final result will have all edges slightly rounded