HybridZ

Going Dragging - Need Tips

zbuild

Hi all,

Our club is thinking of going to a strip near us and I was thinking of having a go.

Its running on street tyres and presently the alignment is setup more for track work than street or dragging. I wont be changing the tyres, but might get time to get it in to be aligned differently.

What I need is some tips on setting up the car and what to do on the night.

My car is turbo'd and running an LSD

any tips would be appreciated

- thanks Zbuild

Hey Simon,

I would think you're looking to reduce the drag as much as possible. So set front and rear toe to as close to zero as possible. Adjust the handbrake so they're backed off a touch and definitely not sticking.

I don't have my milliken & milliken book with me or I'd look up what effect camber has on rolling resistance. It may be worth while leaving any front camber you have on there.

I don't know if you have adjustable shocks but I'd be softening up the back as much as you can, letting some air out of the tyres to make the contact patch longer.

Depending on how many goes you get I would be experimenting with launch rpm. Go one low, go one high, compare 60' times, work away from the one that was better in both directions until it starts to get crapper.

Oh obviously do a nice little burnout, after the other guy, so you're not waiting there for 2 minutes with your rubber cooling down.

I am (unhappily) not as familiar with the Motec M48 as I would like to be, but if you have time/inclination you could maybe set up antilag so you can leave the line with boost at your disposal without having to dump @ a relatively high rpm.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes. I ran 12.83 @ 115MPH on 10psi with a 2.2 60', open diff and 195 pirelli P400. :D I expect you'll wipe the better part of a second off that.

Dave

Some great advice above! There are some other threads as well--great ones actually, from the past regarding this very topic. That said...

I have read in the past that lowering the inflation for street radials is very mixed in the reviews--do some research before committing to that. If they are race tires, that's a different story.

Also, I believe that for drag racing you won't need the anti-sway bar. If you have time or inclination, softer front springs will allow the front tires to droop while launching and help in the weight transfer for the launch.

Good luck!

Davy

Thanks Dave and Davy,

I'm definately going to get the alignment played with, and have to play with my front strut towers, so will soften off the front inserts.

Im running about 2 degrees negative on the back at the moment so I'll get that reduced and drop the rear tyre pressure a bit.

At the moment my boost is set with a pneumatic valve that adds pressure to the top of the diaphragm. . .I hope to have time to add another valve and switch it with a gas solenoid so that I can run 17psi (its been dyno'd up to that) I normally run 15psi. These cold evenings will help a bit too Id guess.

Thanks very much for you help - Much appreciate it and will tell you how I go.

cheers - Simon

Cruez, a burnout on street tires cleans any dirt/pebbles from the tire that may affect traction. You also do them because you usually have to roll through the waterbox, which will definitely affect traction.

Cruez, a burnout on street tires cleans any dirt/pebbles from the tire that may affect traction. You also do them because you usually have to roll through the waterbox, which will definitely[/i'] affect traction.

ahh.. you have a valid point.... I was only thinking about the actual tire grip itself...

Water and dirt definately wouldn't help any...