HybridZ

Hakasuka GTR

PUSHER

Ok I am waiting...

You're going to have to wait around six weeks or so for any more detailed updates on that. Let's just say that the container ship takes around 28 days to go from Yokohama to Southampton........

How about letting the cat out of the bag on the Works Shells....What was different....

Well - much like the Works PZR bodyshells and the early 240Z rally bodyshells - they were built up from dedicated panel pressings ( thicker or thinner than stock, depending on what section of the car they were used on ) and were quite different from 'stock' items. Similar kinds of tricks / dodges / rule-bending as you would find in most 'production-based' race classes around that period.

I have some very old Nissan magazines and brochures that show the slide mechanical fuel injection on the Group A cars similar to the Kugilfisher (spelling) on BMW 2002Tii...I was under the impression they were putting out 280hp?

I'll see what I can dig-up.

Yasin

Guest l28et
I've been informed of the correct pronunciation of Watanabe wheels lately, but could you please tell us how to pronounce Hakosuka?

Second that. And do "watanabe" while you're at it.

I have some very old Nissan magazines and brochures that show the slide mechanical fuel injection on the Group A cars similar to the Kugilfisher (spelling) on BMW 2002Tii...

Yasin,

The Works S20 engines started out with a Lucas flat slide system when they went to fuel injection from carbs. There were a couple of semi-Works KPGC10s that were sponsored by Mikuni Kogyo, and these used a 'Solex'-branded FI system for a few races.

The PGC10 and KPGC10 usually raced in the 'TS' class - many years before 'Group A' was created.

Here are a couple of pics of the Lucas FI system on a genuine Works S20 engine ( pre restoration shots ):

snk3rtera032cj.th.jpg

snk3rtera041tv.th.jpg

And here's a rare shot of the injected S20 in a Works Fairlady Z432-R race car at the 1970 Suzuka 1000km race:

suz100070pzrk3r028jj.th.jpg

Alan T.

Dang, that's a lot of oxidation on those engines in the top two pics, did they salvage them off the Yamato?!

Guess I don't have room to talk, my engine looked like that too when I got it, but you would think something as uncommon as those engines would be kept up a bit more...

That particular engine has now been refurbished and is in use again.

Personally speaking, I'd rather find an engine as special as that particular one in a long-unused and dusty state as opposed to having had 35-odd years of use and abuse and race mileage. Think of it like a fine wine that was laid down in a dusty cellar for future drinking. In many ways it is a reassurance that it is in original and unmessed-with condition. Added 'provenance' if you like.

And I like a little patina anyway........

I personally feel that engines are designed to be run, and sitting unused for any significant length of time is not the greatest thing for them. I'm not saying abused, but engines need to be run every once in awhile...If I found an engine like that, in that shape, I'd be afraid to try and turn it over without some kind of refurbishment...

..If I found an engine like that, in that shape, I'd be afraid to try and turn it over without some kind of refurbishment...

Who said anyone was going to do anything like that??? Am I missing something here?

That's a 35-year old dry-sumped race engine with O-ringed cylinder liners. You'd have to be crazy to attempt to "turn it over" without a full strip down, refurbishment and rebuild - and the owner did just that.

Here's what one of my S20s looked like when I found it. I can assure you that it is starting to look a lot better now............

s20asfound16jp.th.jpg