HybridZ

epa wants it to be illegal for you to paint/primer your car

Racer X,

value your opinion and comments !

i remember the how in the late 70's they tried to outlaw home paint jobs.

this time they have the industry behind them.

from what i have read the epa wants to hold the paint manufacturers responsible for the poisons that enter the air, water and soil.

means the paint formulas must be modified.

much easier to control the end user than to spend all that money modifying the product.

body shops have scrubbers in the vent systems to remove most of the poisons from airborne paint before being released from the sealed paint booth.

by regulating the end use of the products, the paint companies are 98% off the hook for VOC requirements.

thus they are getting in goose step with the epa to stop hobbyists from being able to spray paint.

it's sort of the same way the epa says that performance modified vehicles contribute more smog than the beat up clap trap being driven to work everyday.

these people are working hard to outlaw our hobby !

Guest Heuristicism

RacerX- They have already banned some paints (household) from being sold in NY. Any paint larger than a quart that is an acyrlic oil based paint cannot be found or purchased in NY. Including Rustoleum (at all local Home depot, lowes, etc) the only sell small pints and quarts. At ALL paint stores (sherman williams, etc) they will NOT sell any of this paint.

BTW- I tried to paint my front porch with (the above mentioned) paint and went thru holy hell to find it, but I did. The store that I purchased it at said the have only a couple of gallons left. This is all due to advanced EPA reglations regarding the safety of the NY'ers.

Complete BS! The paint store attendant told me that I could go to any other state (PN,OH) to purchase this stuff.

Thanks Hillary for being so concerned !!!!!!!

• Like 1

didn't California try to put a lock on everyone's oil pan drain plug????

They are trying to put the average home mechanic out of his own reach...

I haven't heard that one, but I do know the vehicle industry is making cars harder to work on (ie all the electronics and diagnostics) so the average shade tree mechanic is going the way of points and bias-ply tires.

...means the paint formulas must be modified.

much easier to control the end user than to spend all that money modifying the product...

Not really, for their sake it makes much more sense to modify the formula to water base to get the epa off their *** for a little while. We are the consumer, without us, their is no demand, with no demand, no companies to supply. There is demand therefore there are companies. I gaurantee the ceo's are not going to just throw in the towel, they will squeeze ever last scent they can.

Plus... think about this... ok so lacquer goes away they go to water base... ok. So the paint doesn't last as long, and it's cheaper or the same price, they are not making even more money and complying to federal regulations. Now you buy twice as much paint cause it doesn't last as long.

Think of it as light bulbs, they can make a light bulb that will never burn out, but what's the point? Then your consumer buys one and never again. Otherwise it would cost so much you would never buy it. Honestly.. you go to the store... do you buy the .99c light bulb... or the 10$ light bulb? unless that 10$ light bulb is going to save you money by using electricity, your not going to buy it.

Supply and Demand my friends, simple business is all it is.

-Ed

BTW... they tried to do the same thing with the aftermarket industy a couple years back... yet there are still aftermarket car parts around. Think Business, the government just wants a cut.

no worries yet. the epa wants to phase out allowing hobbyists to paint their own car and parts starting in 2007, completely removing products from those that are not certified by the epa to use paint products by 2011.

this is not yet carved in stone. it has been presented to congress.

we need to contact our congressmen, and sema.

let em know how you feel about this.

talk at this point it won't matter if water base or petroluem based, no spray paints will be available to hobbyist period. this is the epa's plan.