HybridZ

Hello from the latest future 240Z-8 owner

Hello to everyone!

I've was lucky enough to find this forum about a week ago and Ive been reading ever since. I must say that you all come together to make an impressive group of nice folks mixed with knowledge.

Alittle about myself then. I reside in San Diego,CA and Ive been an avid car nut my whole life. I was raised on Chevy muscle cars but I enjoy and respect anything thats fast and well designed. Im currently building a 1973 Camaro for some fun on the track and the streets. You can have a look at it as well as my lifted F150 here

http://www.jasonshobbyshowcase.homestead.com/homepage.html

Welp the reason I'm here is that Im seriously considering doing a V8 240Z. When i was growing up, there was a guy in our nieghborhood with one that had a built 327...oh how I loved that car! It started something that has stuck with me to this day (28yrs old now). I would love to just run out and buy a 240 and drop a 350/th350 combo that i have now in it and go play...BUT...I still have along ways to go on my Camaro. Sigh...dilemma. If i had known how cheaply I could have built a Z-8 before i started my Camaro, i MIGHT have done it first. Anyways I have a new father-in-law(to be) and he is showing interest in doing a Z project with me so the Z-8 just might happen. He owns a 240 and i had the opportunity to drive it...WOW what a classic roadcar. I fell in love but immediately thought "Man, if this thing had a SBC in it it would be an ANIMAL!". So..theres an ad in the local autotrader this week for a 240 with a 406SBC in it and it says it runs 12's. OK Im REALLY losing control of my credit now! It's $3000...for 12's! If that isnt cheao speed, i dont know what is. Im thinking about having a look at it, even tho I really should be putting this money into the Camaro. I'll tell ya, reading the posts from people who have done it and their experiences with these cars makes it HARD to resist! I have quite a bit more to put into the Camamro to complete it than it would take to buy this Z already running. Theres a post from SuperDan in the Buy-Sell area about it now if you want to have a look.

I was hoping I could get some advice on what to look for when shopping for a Z car..especially one thats been converted. Specific parts/systems that are prone to failure or excessive wear. ANYTHING that would be an expense or safety issue would be helpful too.

Sorry for such a long post but Im finding myself more and more worked up about getting a Z-8 and I find myself being more enthusiastic than normal. Also, i just want to say this forum is very informative and seems to have a great group of people. Nice (and rare) these days.

Jason

Welcome Jason.

Glad you found us. Search the archives and you will find just about everything covered you may have questions for. If you don't find a topic covered after doing your search, ask away and you will usually get an answer within 24 hours.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Welcome to the Forum. I know you'll find the answers you seek here, there are some sharp people here that read and share experiences and idea's and the group tries (nearly always successfully!) to be open about mods and Hyper Z cars in general.

Regards,

Lone

Thanks for the warm welcome! Im already enjoying my time here although it looks like its gonna cost me some money (Z car time!). Ive been looking through the VAST info and learning alot.

On the car Im going to look at..

Ive learned that his motor mounts and tranny mounts are homemade. I HOPE they were done well with weight bias in mind. It has electric fans, camamro radiator, elctric fuel pump, 5point harnesses, 300Z rearend..Ill know more soon. Im alittle worried because im unfamiliar with Z cars and dont really know what to check for or where!

Dan, I live in El Cajon and work in La Jolla so i get around the county abit. I'd love to meet ya one evening (im a vampire..graveyards) and have a look and maybe a ride smile.gif in your car! Hopefully Ill be the newest Z-8 in our neighborhood soon!

Jason

Make sure you check for RUST. Look under the battery tray and along the frame rails. I'm betting you'll find at least some where the battery is - don't get too worried unless you can see the GROND under the battery. Yes, I've seen this before (shiver). Engine mounting can be fixed easily - especially if you know how to turn wrenches on a Camaro. 300Z rear - ask if it's limited slip. Chances are it's simply a 300Z LSD pumpkin which is what I'm doing, if it's not LSD then the fact that it's "300Z" is no big deal. Pay attention to what brakes are being used, big motor need big brake or you go Boom! smile.gif Good luck, sounds liek you may have found a winner and if you've read any of the threads here where prices are concerned you'll find that the car you're looking at could be a serious bargain!