HybridZ

swapping a turbo VG into an N/A 300ZX

bob88

My freind just bought an 84 300ZX and wants to put in a tubo engine, im sure its bolt in, but does the wiring interchange? Also what do turbo engines for the Z31 go for. I just did a V8 swap into a 75 z so I know what I'm doing and I have the tools, but how much work do you think it would be.

Another thing is if he doesnt go that route i have a 5 speed that I took out of my 75, would it bolt up the the VG in the 84 or should I just go find a later tranny.

This has been done quite frequently. Because of the Nissan Turbo position on the drivers side manifold, the LH engine mount is different, as is the (under) frame crossmember to which the engine mounts. The Ecu is quite a different part number. Turbo gages have to be changed in the gage console. A single wire in the wiring harness has to be added. Several persons on Z31.com have accomplished this swap. Some members have even added the turbo gear, exhaust manifold, and blowoff valve to their NA Engines. An intercooler is added in this case to prevent pre-detonation, and you must use high octane gasoline if you are still using the 9 to 1 compression engine.

The exact diffence between the turbo and non-turbo engines is all about the pistons. The exact same heads are used, and there is an extra fitting on the intake manifold for temperature, I believe. There is a different exh. manifold on the drivers side, and the drivers gages. Other than the Ecu, everything else is pretty much the same engine. The earlier 5 speed transmission will not bolt to the Z31 unless I'm wrong. The NA transmission will bolt to the turbo engine. For further information write to http://www.redz31.com and Jason will direct you to a detailed conversion on his website