HybridZ

Blew my 5th gear today

Well 5th just sh!t the bed today on the way to work. What year car should I get another 5 speed tranny from. Mine (78) 4th and 5th were real close together. If I was in 4th say 3000 rpm when I shift to 5th it would go to like 3300 rpm whats the best tranny to get better hwy MPG? Or whats the best all around. I know where to get one. Just which one. AND are there any codes on the tranny. Most of the trannys I will be looking at are all ready out of the car.............. It always made noise in 5th, so I don't think it was the turbo thats blew it, at least thats what I'm telling the wife:icon44:

Dont get a NA 5 spd IMO. I HATE mine. First and second gear are wayyyyy to close together and short. Completely worthless to me, I enjoyed my 280z tranny much better....

Are you referring to a 280z 5 spd? A lot of guys were saying that the early 5-spds had huge rpm drops between certain gears and were too weak.

75 to 78 5 speed had a big gap between 2nd and 3rd and 5th was close to 4th,.most people dont notice this-i didnt until a track day ar sears point between turns 2 and 3.i think nissan used same ratios on truck trans.82-83 had best 5th for freeway .81 zx na has its own 5th ratio.zx trans has a slightly different shift tower with lees throw.for drag racing some people might prefer the 75-78 trans because 1st gear is lower.the reason most trans problems happen is usually a leaky speedo drive-the countershaft bearings run low on lube.i build my own trans.a 82 zx trans built correctly and running on redline mtl shifts like butter -much better than t5.but if my turbo engine breaks the na trans soon i will be running a wc t5 mated to a zxt t5 bellhousing-close ratios and an even better 5th for the freeway.

I got an 83 n/a 5 speed trans for $250 the car it came from had 165k but the trans was rebuilt at some point from the markings on it. Its going in Sunday, there went my cash for a holset, or megasquirt:fmad: oh well at least I might get a better overdrive

I do not know what ratio diff you are using but you need to run the 3.9 with the 82-83 5 speed. You could use the 3.7 but in 5th on the highway you run way under boost rpm. and would have to down shift alot.The 3.9 and the 82-83 5 speed will put you about 3000 at 80 mph.right at the start of full boost.If you are using a high cr motor like 8.3 . it will not be as much of an issue.The 75-78 280 came with a 3.54 which would be real tall.

I put in an 83 n/a 5 speed, and it feels great! in 5th 80 mph is under 3k rpm, I think the speedo is reading right? but the overdrive is much much better. And when I went to put in my new clutch, what did I see! A "Centerforce?" multi disk clutch! with lots of life left in it. So I left it in.

As long as you have not changed the diff your speedo should be right. The speedo drive gear is linked to Your diff.However if you just put in an 83 5peed and you did not put in your old speedo drive your speedo is off. The 83 5 speed came with an 3.90 or a 3.70 diff depending on if it was a gl or not.

As long as you have not changed the diff your speedo should be right. The speedo drive gear is linked to Your diff.However if you just put in an 83 5peed and you did not put in your old speedo drive your speedo is off. The 83 5 speed came with an 3.90 or a 3.70 diff depending on if it was a gl or not.

I just plugged the cable in the 83 tranny, so the speedo is off, but when I ride with other cars on the freeway, at speed I can "feel" that the car is at about 70-80 mph and the rpm is much lower. You know after driving the car for 2 years, as soon as I got on the highway I could tell the overdrive was awesome!