HybridZ

My new 300zx, i have a couple of questions about the vg30et engine

Guest tibbs

Guest tibbs

hello im new to this forum

I've recently brought a 1985 300zx turbo its a vg30et with 319,000 kms on the clock ( no idea how many miles that is ) its in stock standard condition and its surprisingly tidy. However the engine needs some work it has broken studs on the exaust manifold so the motor is coming out when the jetbaot is finally sold, while ive got the motor out im planning on doing a full engine recondition and getting the entire rotating assembly balanced.

I'm new to turbo motors but not to engine building is there a particular head gaskget that anybody has found to work really well? im not planning on high boost any time soon but if the motors coming out its going to get done right the first time, and what sucess have people had with fitting larger injectors in their vg30et. the turbo is a the stock 1985 Garret T3, can anybody reccomend exaust/compressor wheel and trim upgrades for this turbo? i would be interested in running 9 to 13 maybe 14 psi (when the fuel system can keep up that is ) while im at it with the whole lot apart is there any improvements i can make to the turbo housing or the exaust manifolds?

any help greatly appreciated

That's about 200,000 miles.

The stock Nissan head gasket works for 20+ psi, I have also used Felpro but many people say they have had trouble with Felpro.

For fuel, you can upgrade the injectors but you will NEED to modify the computer, otherwise you'll run too rich, or not run at all. You need to swap to an aftermarket ECU, or chip and burn your current ECU. redz31.com has more info.

As far as turbos, it depends on what power you want, not boost level. You can run 14 pounds on the stock turbo, but it won't be pretty. I ran a t3/t04e at 18 pounds, and made 390hp, 440tq... with room to spare on the turbo, but my 440cc injectors were maxed out.

The stock turbo manifolds are pretty decent unless you are making gobs of power.

Would not bother with the T3 myself, particularly if the boost is going to be increased a BB turbo is a far better choice. If on a budget check out the suitability of a used BB turbo, something like the one off a VG30DET but avoid the ceramic wheel version.

Guest tibbs

i think i would be happy if i could do 260-270 hp for now, ive been told by various people this is achievable without chaning to much from the stock setup ie keeping the standard airflow meter,using standard injectors and ecu and doing the usual things like 3 inch exaust, intercooler, 10 psi from the turbo and of course freeing up the intake system.