HybridZ

what clutch/flywheel recommended?

2003z

I've got an F54/P90 with dished pistons now, (carbed with SUs) and the stock 4 speed.

I am replacing the pistons with domed euro pistons and the transmission with a 82-83 5 speed. Any suggestions on the clutch and flywheel setup?

How much do you want to spend?

You can get a used Maxima/810 flywheel that is about 4lbs lighter than a Z flywheel, if you are on a budget. If not on a budget, get an aluminum one.

I've had good luck with Clutchmasters clutches. I'm running a Stage 1 (FX100) on my track car that makes around 165HP at the wheels, and it has held up to a couple seasons just fine. I'm runnig the Maxima flywheel on the same car. It does seem to rev a bit easier with it.

http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/Graphics/FX100page.jpg

I had trouble finding a Maxima flywheel, so I had my flywheel turned on a lathe and got down to 16 lbs. Going any further would have required machining which was going to start ringing up $$$. The total cost including resurfacing and rebalancing was about $120. Definitely makes the motor rev up and down faster and feel more lively. I'd say it was money well-spent as long as you do it while you have the flywheel out. I wouldn't do this as a stand-alone project as it would be too much work for not enough benefit.

I had trouble finding a Maxima flywheel, so I had my flywheel turned on a lathe and got down to 16 lbs. Going any further would have required machining which was going to start ringing up $$$. The total cost including resurfacing and rebalancing was about $120. Definitely makes the motor rev up and down faster and feel more lively. I'd say it was money well-spent as long as you do it while you have the flywheel out. I wouldn't do this as a stand-alone project as it would be too much work for not enough benefit.
Someone in the Z club also recommended getting it turned down. I guess I will wait til I pull the motor to see its condition before deciding.

If you've got the money, get a lightweight flywheel. Not a 20 lb flywheel or a turned down 16 lb flywheel, but more like an 11 lb flywheel. Makes a huge difference. I can tell the difference between my 12 lb flywheel and my friends 10 lb. Every little bit of weight helps on this one. I have the Arizona Z Car steel flywheel, my friend has the NLA HKS flywheel, there is also the Fidanza flywheel. I'd probably go with the Fidanza if I had to do it again.

As for clutches I really like the ACT pressure plate that I'm running with a stock clutch disk. Doesn't slip and it holds ~240whp OK. I got the less extreme of the ACT pressure plates. Should hold down the power you're making no problem, and it isn't so stiff that you constantly have to wonder when the clutch fork is going to split. That's a very common failure on the stiffer pressure plates, BTW so you might want to check yours carefully and replace it if it looks like it's worn thin where the pivot ball sits. Make sure to put some grease in there too!

Should hold down the power you're making no problem, and it isn't so stiff that you constantly have to wonder when the clutch fork is going to split. That's a very common failure on the stiffer pressure plates, BTW so you might want to check yours carefully and replace it if it looks like it's worn thin where the pivot ball sits. Make sure to put some grease in there too!

Uhhh...crap. Didn't even think about this.

I just installed a SPEC Stage 2+ in my car. Can't tell you much about it as I've only driven about 50 miles on it. What I can tell you is that the pilot bearing was extremely tight and the throwout bearing looked quite different than the one on the transmission.

I bought a new, unused CFDF from DemonZ tonight with a stock resurfaced flywheel. Will probably still get a lightweight one, but the deal with him was great, and the clutch should do fine with my NA.