HybridZ

addding 260z cam to n47

Team Zleep

hey guys... some know me from zcar.com, and ive lurked here for a while now, and decided to start posting here... i like a lot that i see!!

so heres my 1st post.

im pulling my head (stock n47) to refresh the headgasket, and replace my valve guide seals, and i want just a little more fun to the car...until boost.

i know the 260 cam is externally oiled, and the 280 is internally oiled, so id have to swap the cam towers... is there a sure way to line everything back up???

ive heard that you can screw things up pretty bad if you dont line everything back up... and i dont want to do that...especially to my daily driver.

should i even bother? i figure itll help to little mods to the car, and make an okay combo. the car has a k&n in a modded stock airbox, cleaned head (not ported), msa6-1 w/2.5 exhuast (18in. glasspack & cobra flowmaster), and thats it.

itll be this way for a while, i have a t3 for it, just gonna take my time and piece everything (msns, injectors, ic, etc.). if i do it, im gonna do it right.

sorry for the rant... but are there any tips to do the swap correctly?

thanks in advance guys! :D

I read somewhere that the differences with the stock cam is marginal, so I don't think it is worth it. Realigning the cam towers...some people don't remove them, while others say you can. You can realign them by gradually tightening the cam tower bolts while tapping the cam towers (with the cam in) with a soft mallet, turning the cam so that it turns smoothly without getting stiffer. If it gets more resistance, untighten the cam tower bolts give the towers a tap to resettle them then carry on retightening gradually Also, before fitting the towers, make sure the bolt holes are clean, as it does not take much to muck up the thread on the aluminim head and then the cam towers can't be tightened down.

I'm not an expert, maybe someone else can add more, and good luck if you are going to change the cam

Ian

Not worth the hassle IMO. RIP has it right, the 260 cam is so marginally improved over the other extremely small stock cams that it really isn't worth it. Get your cam reground to a turbo grind that has a lot of lift and not too much overlap. Search turbo cam in this and the turbo forum.

Here's a post to whet your appetite... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101644

hey, thanks for the link!

so the cams out, and ill rethink it when i get my turbo rebuilt.

im still in the looks for a hotter cam, but id be good buying a reground cam... seems pretty cheap, and would really help later on down the road!

its easy. I put one in my MN47 head. it is marginal, but depnding on whose specs you go by or which year of which motor, your stock cam could have as little as 240 degrees, while a 260Z cam has 256 degrees. so, it could be quite a bump from a "stock" cam. all you have to do is swap towers and use the tap method. pretty easy. been running in my car for probably 25K with no problems.

lol, yeah. but, i had all the parts available to me on various heads laying around the garage.

it is quite a bump from the stock L24E cam, which was 240 on both sides. remember Im running an MN47 head.

I am looking for a regrind right now. probably something on the order of 270/270 and about .470 lift. gotta keep the efi happy. no alpha N for me.